The Hogwarts Express

Lily's POV
As soon as I boarded the Hogwarts Express, my first instinct was to find Severus. Unfortunately, he was late, and me, not completely sure where I was supposed to go once inside the the train, ended up in a compartment near the front.

I couldn't help but be rather intrigued by the train's seemingly normalcy; I expected it to seem a lot more... magical, I guess. It looked a lot like the trains I was used to in the muggle world (that's wizard slang for people without magic). If it wasn't for the few things that gave it away - like how the trolley which went around with food on it floated a couple centimetres away from the ground and how there were strange creatures, which were small with big eyes and bat ears, and baggy clothes , scuttling about the richer students - she wouldn't of spotted much difference between the muggles and the magical.

Unfortunately for me, Potter decided to come into the same compartment as us. There was also another boy who seemed to be getting on well with him already. He had captivating grey eyes and dark hair which was quite long for a boy - fell sort of around his shoulders. He was quite pale, unlike Potter, who was quite tanned and had a sporty look about him. The one who was not Potter was called Sirius Black, and while Severus seemed a lot more interested when he heard his last name, Sirius didn't seem so keen. He basically spat his last name, as if it was a curse instead of a legacy like Severus seemed to think it was.

Me and Severus end up arguing about my sister, Petunia. As much as I care about Severus, he has some strange opinions about people without magic. I wish he would be a bit more understanding. Not wanting to fight, he quickly changed the subject.
"But we're going!" He says, unable to suppress the exhilaration I could hear in his voice. "This is it! We're off to Hogwarts! You'd better be in Slytherin," I smile at him, but inwardly sigh a bit. He has been repeatedly reminding me of where he hoped I am placed house-wise since he told me that I was a witch. It makes me feel quite pressured- what if I got into a different house and Sev stopped being my friend? Worse, what if he stops wanting to even TALK to me? Slytherin seems cool from what Severus has told me, so I don't understand why Potter seems so horrified at our exchange. Sirius just rolls his eyes, as if he hears this kind of thing quite often.