Siriusly?

James' POV:
"Slytherin?" I interrupt. Before that moment, I payed little attention to Evans and her ugly friend. When I say 'ugly' I really mean it. Greasy, floppy black hair which got in the way of his eyes, which were as dark and uninteresting as coal. He was shorter than me, but taller than Evans and when he looked at me, I could see the disgust in his eyes.
"What a snobby git," I had mumbled to myself moments before I interrupted the boy. The boy next to me, Sirius, grinned at me, his grey eyes twinkling with malice.
"He looks like he smelled something nasty... like, you know, maybe himself? He replied.

I had had a feeling that that would be the start of a beautiful new friendship. He was easy to talk to, and had the same sort of attitude as me - too cool for school, troublemaker, a joker of sorts.
'Works for me,' I thought. However, I noticed that as soon as I said the word
"Slytherin?" To the greasy boy suddenly Sirius' smile tightened didn't quite reach his eyes. But the expression was gone as quickly as I saw it, and I continued on.

"Who wants to be in Slytherin? I think I'd leave, wouldn't you?" I said cockily, turning back to my new friend.
"My whole family have been in Slytherin," he said to me, unsmiling and did I sense bitterness, in his tone?

I was surprised, and when I am unsure, I tend to cover it up by joking. And I was, so I did.
"Blimey!" I  joke "and I thought you seemed alright!" Sirius seemed to have the same tendency and the corners of his mouth twitched as he replied:
"Maybe I'll break tradition. Where are you heading, if you've got the choice?"