CHAPTER 8: SHE'S BACK

Kat walked into her first period class, art, another favourite. She smiles slightly at her teacher, Miss Laste, waving from the front as she takes her seat at the back. Everyone else piles in taking their seats as the teacher closes the door ready to begin the lesson. A sudden knock at the door startles the otherwise quiet class and the teacher goes to answer it. "Oh, hey Amy, welcome back," she says in a cheerful voice as she moves aside to let the student in. Kat's eyes go wide at who walks in, it's her ex-best friend Amy who left mid-last year to go elsewhere. "Holy fuck," Kat mutters under her breath as she turns to avoid her ex-friend's eyes that are scanning the room for a place to sit. Kat hears foot steps get closer to her table as the teacher continues her lesson. "Don't sit, don't sit," Kat repeats in her head before hearing a small "hi," from Amy who's now seated directly next to her. Kat turns to see her ex-best friend staring straight at her with a small smile on her face and her beautiful emerald eyes darting cautiously between Kat's hazel ones and the window behind her. Immediately Kat shoots up from her seat muttering a small "sorry," to her teacher as she speed walks out of the classroom with her things. Going into the bathroom, Kat rinses her face with water, not believing what she just saw. Her ex-best friend was merely a few feet away from her, the same ex-best friend that broke her heart without even knowing it.

Kat stayed in the bathroom all of first period, leaving to go to second where she'd see Elena. Waking into the classroom she's stopped by Mrs Chester whom has a concerned look on her face. "Hey, are you alright? I heard you left class last period?" She says softly, her concern clearly evident as she looks around to make sure no one is listening, little does she know the El secretly is. "Um...I...yes," Kat stutters our trying to avoid her teachers eye contact. "Oh come on Kate, I know she's back, you can talk to me about it if you're not ok," the teacher replies in the same original tone. "I know...it's just...she's actually back, I can't believe it, you know?" Kat answers staring at the ground deep in thought. Mrs Chester was about to say something again when the bell rang signalling it was time for class to begin. Kat noticed this and sent her an understanding half smile before taking her seat next to El as usual.

"Hey," El greeted her with a smile though concern was still evident on her face, "what was that about?" Kat turned slightly to her, "hm? Oh nothing," she replied smiling through her feelings, "are you ok?" Elena questioned, Kat simply just nodded with a smile being turning back to face the board. The lesson was spent with El working hard to take down notes and Kat staring off blankly at walls and out windows. After the bell rang, El began packing her things as Kat just sat their unaware the bell had even gone. "Kat?" El nudged Kat to get her attention, "bell's gone babe." Kat stared at her for a second before taking in what she'd said and packing her things up with an almost inaudible "sorry." After packing her things the two began to walk out the classroom before Kat was stopped with a hand on her arm. Looking up she noticed it was the hand of Mrs Chester, "can you hang around a minute please?" Kat nodded before uttering out "I'll see you later," to Elena whom was looking at her very concerned. "Yeah, ok," she replied with a frown before walking out.

"I printed you out the notes from class ," the teacher spoke as she handed Kat a stack of papers, "you know, since you were a bit...distracted and all..." she trailed off. "Thank you," Kat said as she took the papers, "I'm sorry...sorry that I was so distracted," she spoke carefully as she looked up at her teacher. Mrs Chester smiled sympathetically at the fragile girl in front of her. "I know, I know," she began as she placed her hand on her forearm, "it's ok, you're allowed to be upset that she's back," she continued. At this Kat looked up at her teacher, eyes beginning to fill with water. "Hey, look at me hun," Mrs Chester starts as she lifts the girl's chin so their eyes would meet, "I know that this is hard for you, I'm here if you need ok?" At this a tear found it's way from Kat's eye as she smiled muttering a small "thank you" before she was engulfed in a tight hug. She laughed slightly at this but more tears began to fall, it had been a while since she had been this emotional. After a few minutes of the two hugging and Kat crying, Mrs Chester pulled away to grab the girl some tissues. Kat thanked the teacher as she wiped away her stray tears and wet eyes. "Do you feel a little better now?" The teacher asked with a small smile, "yeah, I do...thank you" Kat replied with a small smile herself. "You know..." Mrs Chester trailed off as she stepped behind her desk, "Elena seems to really care about you," she continued suggestively. "Yeah, we're pretty close," Kat said with a slight shrug. Mrs Chester shook her head slightly, smiling, "you should go to your friends, I'm sure their worried about you" Kat nodded grabbing her things, "yeah, ok. Thank you again for the hug...the notes...everything," the teacher smiled, "you're welcome, now go, be happy, forget about her for a while ok?" Kat nodded again, "ok," as she left the classroom headed towards her friend group's table.