CHAPTER 9: TALK TO ME

"Kate! Hey!" Monica yelled out hugging Kat in greeting as she took a seat beside her, opposite Nicole. "Hey," Kat got out through the tight hug she was still engulfed in. Looking up she was met with direct eye contact from Elena, whom was still wearing the same, concerned expression as earlier. Quickly she darted her eyes away to Nicole's where Kat was met with a small, sorrowful smile. "What's up?!" Nikki shouted as she slung herself into the chair at the end of the table. They all laughed lightly at this except for El who was still staring at Kat. Kat let out a relieved sigh as she was finally released from Monica's tight grip. The group began to chat amongst one another as both Kat and El pretended to be paying attention. Monica and Nicole were talking about some new movie they had seen the other night when Nikki leant over to Kat, "hey, are you ok?" She whispered lowly. Kat turned to her, "yes...?" she questioned back, Nikki squinted her eyes at her friends questioning answer before replying with, "when I came to the table, you looked..." she trailed off in thought of the correct word, "sad." Kat shook her head, releasing a low fake laugh as a cover up, "nah, I'm fine, just a little tired," she replied with before her eyes lifted to be met with the same brown orbs as earlier. Clearing her throat, she quickly looks back to Nikki who's currently studying her suspiciously, "hm ok, if you say so," she replies with before turning to join back into the conversation with Monica and Nicole.

The bell went not too long after Nikki's arrival, the group all making their way to their combined study class. "How are you doing?" Nicole questioned concerned as she bumped into Kat softly, "I heard she's back," she finishes with after seeing slight confusion across Kat's face. In realisation Kat shook her head lightly a sad smile appearing across her face, "I'm fine," she says with a small sigh. Arriving to the classroom, Nicole stops Kat in the doorway, "are you trying to convince me or yourself?" She questions before stepping inside to meet the others at their table. Kat takes a minute to think about that question before realising she was, she was trying to convince herself that she's okay when she isn't. Tears begin to fill her eyes again her sight blurring slightly, she quickly tried to blink them away as she walks in to the room getting her name marked off. "Kat, are you okay?" Monica asks seeing her friends expression, "y-yeah," she stutters out, "I-I'm just gonna go home actually," Kat finishes, her voice breaking slightly. The whole group says goodbye as Kat turns to leave the school all except one person, "Kat!" Elena shouts behind her, Kat turns to face her friend, tears falling slowly down her face, "you can't drive like this," El puffs out reaching a hand up to wipe at the tears. "Don't," Kat says bluntly as she steps back reaching into her pocket grabbing out her keys, "take me home...please." El simply nods grabbing them as they both walked in silence to Kat's car, the ride home just as silent.

Arriving at Kat's house, the girls walk inside being met by the familiar black blur as usual. "Luna, baby, hi," Kat greets her puppy in a child-like voice falling to her knees immediately being pounced on. Elena closes the door, locking it behind her, staring below at the beautiful girl sobbing quietly before her clutching onto an excited pup. She smiles sadly at the sight before grabbing Kat's bag and placing it on the kitchen bench, she then searches the fridge for something for the two to drink. Settling on a bottle of water each, El walks back out to the lounge room where she'd left Kat to see her and Luna sat on the couch. She hands a bottle to her friend before sitting beside her. She breathes heavily, "what's wrong babe?" She asks Kat in concern. Kat turns her head to face El making direct eye contact, sighing she decides to lie, not knowing whether to tell the truth or not, afraid of what the British girl will think. "I'm just not feeling too well," she mutters out, turning to look back at the pup in her lap, "I just...I don't know." Elena scoffs lightly at this, turning her body completely with her legs crossed, facing Kat who's shocked at this reaction. "Don't lie to me," she says seriously, staring straight at the girl in front of her, "I'm no-," Kat starts before being cut off by El. "Kate," she begins, "you've been avoiding eye contact with me since second period, you haven't talk to me since this morning," her eyes dart between Kat's gauging her response. "Something is obviously wrong," she continues, "you've cried at least twice today, and I heard what Mrs Chester said to you...who's 'she'?" Sighing, Kat realises she's not getting away without telling the concerned British girl about Amy, her ex-friend that broke her heart. "Ok," she says simply, El's taken back slightly at this short reply, "ok?" She questions. "Ok, I'll tell you," Kat replies, lifting her legs to become crossed beneath her.