18- parasomnia and stoned

Malachi stood there staring at Jamal

Malachi stood there staring at Jamal. Something was really off about him. There was a strange smell emanating from him and reminded Malachi of a pub he and Elder went to chill during some weekends.

"How did you get in here? Did you pick my lock?"

Jamal didn't answer but looked around the room as if he was in a Wonderland.

"Hey man. Are you okay?" Malachi tapped him on the shoulder.

"I'm just fine," Jamal voice was slurred. "Elder ran out on me and I'm still in this mess."

Malachi set his basketball on floor and sat beside Jamal. From the way Jamal was acting, he guessed he was either drunk or high and when he sat with him, he knew it was the latter.

"Are you stoned Jamal?"

Jamal turned to look at him and his pupils were so dilated that his eye orbs look almost completely black. He pushed himself backwards and laid on Malachi's bed and a tear moved across his cheek.

"I hate my life bro. Why do bad things keep happening to me?"

"What are you talking about? Did Dr. Forson hurt you?" Malachi asked him.

After a while when Malachi got no answer from him, he turned to him and Jamal was asleep, letting out gentle sighs. Malachi got up to change his clothes and shower. He had no sooner threw his clothes into his laundry basket when Jamal woke up at once.

"Elder! You have to help me!" he shouted.

"Jamal, calm down.Take off your shoes and sleep."

Jamal muttered something incomprehensible and went back to sleep. Malachi shook his head and taking a sniff at his armpits, he entered the bathhouse.

Malachi was in the shower, thinking of a way to get Jamal to open up to him and see how Dr.Forson was connected to Elder's death when he heard a loud cry in his room. He wrapped his towel around him and rushed into his room, with his upper body still covered in suds.

Jamal stood by the bed and with his eyes closed, was pointing a knife at a very frightened Simi. She clutched her bag and was muttering something under her breath.

"Jamal!" Malachi rushed to him and took the knife and threw it on the floor. "What is wrong with you today?"

"No one will hurt them. He left me in charge them. I have to be the best brother," Jamal kept saying, all the while with his eyes closed.

Simi drew closer to them and said, "I think he was having parasomnia. It's a type of sleepwalking nightmare."

"Help me get him into the shower," Malachi threw one arm around Jamal and with Simi's help, sent Jamal to the bathhouse.

He was very aware that he had only a towel around him and fervently hoped it wouldn't slip off him.

They put him on the floor of of the bathroom and Simi turned on the shower. The water hit Jamal on his forehead, drenched his shirt and slowly he stirred. He stared at the two of them unable to speak.

Simi and Malachi moved him back to the room and laid him on Malachi's bed and within a few seconds, he was fast asleep again.

"Thanks Si," Malachi said to Simi.

"What happened with your mom?" Simi sat down on one of the chairs and tried to look everywhere but Malachi's chest.

"Same as ever. Dinner and an argument.  How did the meeting with Dr. de Heer go?" Malachi drew closer to Simi unaware that his half nakedness was affecting her.

Simi finally managed and lifted her eyes, "Please go and wash yourself and put some clothes on."

Malachi nodded and within a few minutes, he was back and dressed in a tank top and sweatpants. He checked on Jamal and he was still asleep.

"Why did he come here?" Simi asked Malachi.

"He wanted the photo of him and Dr. Forson in bed." Malachi answered and changed the topic, "So the meeting?"

"Honestly, I don't even know. She's a very jovial person and pulled two pranks on me. Peter says that's how she is with most her students."

Malachi's eyes formed a slit. "He seems to know a lot about her."

"Malachi," Simi gave him a frustrated look.

He raised his hands in surrender. "Sorry. What do you think about Dr. de Heer?"

"I noticed she and Peter are very close to each other and that was the only red flag raised. I'm confused."

"Are we in over our heads Simi? Trying to do this all on our own?" he asked her.

Simi just shrugged and said, "I don't even know anymore Kai."

"Maybe we should wait a little before crossing Dr.de Heer out of the list. To see if we find something else."

Simi nodded to Malachi's suggestion.

"Dr. de Heer?" they both heard Jamal's voice and turned to see him rubbing one of his eyes.

Malachi moved to him and sat on the bed. "Do you know her?"

Jamal nodded his head, still sleepy. "Yeah. Forson is always talking about her"

Simi's heart began beating fast. "About what?"

"They're good friends and are the main dealers of Chill on campus. I wouldn't be surprised if they took out Elder Benson."

Malachi and Simi could say nothing but stare at Jamal.

Discussion Area

Again, I'm really grateful to you guys. 500 reads?! I really appreciate it.
How did you find this chapter? Do you think what Jamal said at the end might be right?
Please don't forget to vote, comment or share.