postlude

The uber driver came to a halt at the main gate of the cemetery

The uber driver came to a halt at the main gate of the cemetery. The sound that filled the whole area was eerie, there was only the swooshing of trees and not even a bird chip could be heard.

Malachi got out and opened the backdoor for Simi. He opened the boot of the car with his good arm and took out the wheelchair and placed it beside the backdoor.

"Can you help us here?" he asked the uber driver, who was changing radio stations on his player.

He nodded and moved to the other side of the car where they were standing. He put one arm around Simi and helped her into the wheelchair and closed the door.

"How much will it be?" Malachi asked him while checking on the uber app on his phone.

He took out a currency note from his wallet and gave to him, a smile on his face. "Thank you."

"Welcome boss." The uber driver replied and sat in his car.

They watched the car slowly disappear from view and Malachi turned the wheelchair to face the main gate of the cemetery. He placed his good hand hand on Simi's shoulder and she placed a hand on his.

"Ready for this?" Simi asked Malachi.

Malachi gave a reassuring squeeze and pushed forward. He moved slowly, afraid of tilting Simi with just his one hand and push her out of the wheelchair. It had been almost a week now since he'd barged in on her and Mrs. Benson. The therapy sessions left her feeling more hopeful and his own therapy sessions with his therapist made him feel better.

He felt he'd missed out on a whole world while he dealt with his problems on his own. They had enshrouded him and all he had seen was how he was never going to make them through. Now he could enjoy life more and not feel like something bad was going to happen soon to rid him of that joy.

Maybe something bad would happen or something bad wouldn't but the barriers he had built had blocked everything including the bad and the good.

It's okay to be scared Malachi. But you have to get out there. Open up, love, make mistakes, learn and be stronger. And start all over again.
He remembered one of Dr. Martin's quotes.

He spent more time with Asha since the school was still on lockdown and went out more to see his friends. His mother was still surprised at the thrice weekly calls he made to her ask her of her wellbeing.

Simi's mind was also racing with thoughts as Malachi pushed her. This was it. She had wanted to do this since she had woken up at the hospital and heard that Julia was gone. Her conversation with Mrs. B had helped and her mother had told her that El's mother cried less now and spent more time with Ezekiel. Hopefully, she would be out of the hospital soon to be with all of them.

However, she had to thank El for all he'd done for her. All that he'd lost for them. Life was still strange without him in it but they'd be fine. She had memories to last her a lifetime.
All the way to their childhood. She and Malachi had to move on. Try and stop hurting and accept that their friend had died for a good cause and because of him, lives would be saved and those who had used Chill to take lives would get what they deserved.

Malachi took a curve and Simi saw Elder's headstone from a distance. There was a wreath in front of it with some flowers scattered on the grass around the headstone. They approached it and stood facing the wreath and headstone. The writings were clear as a sunny day.

Elder Nana Kojo Benson
13th August 1999 - 4th January 2019.
Son. Brother. Friend.

Simi smiled and turned to Malachi, "Would he have liked this?" She pointed to the headstone.

"Definitely not. Too plain for his weird ass."

Simi hit him playfully on the arm and said to the wind, "Don't listen to him El."

She turned to Malachi and asked him, "Do you want to start?"

"Hey bro," Malachi began. "By the way I forgive you. For leaving me when you were the only brother I had. But I've been okay. You know I was angry the morning I woke up and you weren't around? I wanted to punch the milky way out of you for not coming to sleep in the room. God, why am I rambling." He let out the last sentence with a deep breath.

"I know you thought you were protecting us but we loved you. We would have been with you in the plan with you. Heck, it might have gone well on the first try. I still wake up sometimes and miss seeing you developing your photos. I miss that cologne you used and how you always talked about my afro. And guess what, I'm taking therapy now. You should see your boy all happy and trying to enjoy life. I really wish you could see me."

Malachi paused, his voice strained now. "I guess what I'm trying to say is I love you bro. and I miss you. I hope we meet in heaven or wherever because you still owe me that punch for leaving."

Malachi turned from Simi and wiped a tear from his eye. He stayed that way, his back to Simi, trying not to let the memories overpower him.

"Nana Kojo Benson," Simi started. "Do you remember when I told you Richard liked me? We were in junior high I think. I should have told you I liked you. I thought if you did too, you would tell me and I waited for you. I was racked with grief after you left but I'm healing now."

"Ironically, I'm stuck in a wheelchair," Simi let out a laugh. "I don't know what to say because I've talked to the wind a thousand times pretending you can hear me. I love you Benson. And I hate that I won't see your face again. I can't even listen to the songs you liked anymore because they always bring tears to my eyes. Thank you for just being you. For making my life better. We're keeping all your other photobooks and no one will mess with them.
Thank you for the memories and I hope to see you again. I'll keep talking to the wind, maybe you can hear me."

Simi concluded and Malachi stood beside her. Finally, they had closure since Elder died and it didn't feel as good as they thought it would. Elder still lingered in their hearts and would be there for a long time.

They listened to the swooshing of the trees and as the sun set, Malachi turned Simi's wheelchair and wheeled them out of the cemetery into their new life.

Without Elder Benson.