56- mrs B., simi and malachi.

The elevator door opened and the nurse wheeling an elderly man to the elevator stared at the young man who walked past him

The elevator door opened and the nurse wheeling an elderly man to the elevator stared at the young man who walked past him. She'd spent enough time in the hospital to know the effect of Dr. Martin on his patients. His therapy skills were legendary but the first weeks were tough on his patients.

Malachi walked around the hospital in a daze, his mind filled with a million thoughts and no thoughts at the same time.
When he'd called his mother and gone to see Dr. Martin, he hadn't expected to feel this way after each session with him. He felt like he was ripped apart and put back together every time he went to see the doctor.

Each time, he would swear not to reveal so much but ended up revealing more. From the abandonment issues he felt from his parents all the way to how Elder's death had really affected him. And although it felt like he was ripped apart and put together, a certain peace filled him each night before he slept and he hadn't had an anger episode in almost three weeks.

He pushed against the large door with Physical Therapy embossed on it and put a smile on his face. Simi's condition had been as worse as they had feared. Her spine had been affected, which in turn affected her ability to walk.
The doctors suggested therapy for at least a year after which they were positive she might be able to walk on her own again. For now, she had to use a wheelchair.

Malachi knocked gently on one of the inner doors and opened it to find a tearful Simi facing him. Mrs. Benson was sitting across her and they were deep in conversation. Malachi immediately closed the door and left the two ladies to themselves.
He took a deep breath and walked out of the therapy department with the cafeteria in mind.

Mrs. Benson held Simi's hand, gently caressing them as tears fell on her face. She turned her head up to look at Simi and gave her a heart-breaking smile.
She had been about to have a session with her therapist when Mrs. Benson had walked in on them. Her surprise was so much she almost forgot she couldn't walk and tried to get up to hug the petite woman who had been like a mother to her.

Her therapist had excused herself and Mrs. Benson sat down beside Simi and embraced her in a hug that lasted almost 10 minutes. She could feel Mrs. Benson's body racking gently with sobs.

When they pulled out of the embrace, Elder's mother couldn't look at Simi. Her eyes was on the bench they were sitting on, her teardrops falling and making that part of the wood darker.

"I failed them," Mrs. Benson said quietly.

Simi held her hand tighter and replied almost immediately, "No you didn't Mrs. Benson. You are one of the strongest and loving people I know. You didn't fail them."

Mrs. Benson's face shook her head. No one knew what she was going through. The guilt that ate at her constantly and the memories of her children when they were babies. Elder had been a quiet child, hardly cried and preferred to suck his thumb instead. Julia had been more robust, always active and laughing, following her mother everywhere when she began to walk.

"You don't understand. I had one job as a mother. If I had paid more attention to Julia, if I had talked to my boy more about his photography, maybe I could have-,"
The words were stuck in her throat and instead a sniffing sound came from her as her tears fell harder.

Simi didn't know what to say to the grief-stricken woman sitting across her. All her life, Mrs. Benson had been part of her life.
She spent almost more time in the Benson house as she spent in her own home. She was there when Mrs. Benson had given birth to Ezekiel and brought him home.
This no-nonsense woman had singlehandedly managed her home because her husband was mostly by himself and didn't talk much.

"I loved them. We did. Sometimes there's nothing we could have done for those we loved. No matter what we think or how much we try."

"Why would Julia do that to her brother Simi? Why would she take my boy from me?"

Simi remembered when Julia had held her hostage. The darkness on Julia's eyes and how she talked without remorse.
It almost made Simi angry but she controlled herself.

"She thought she was misunderstood. You have Ezekiel Mrs.B. He needs you more than anyone right now. Please be there for him."

Mrs. Benson nodded and wiped her wet stained face with her large handkerchief.
It was heart-breaking to Simi how Mrs. B had been reduced to the frail woman whom she was looking at. She wished she had something to say to reduce her pain but she knew she couldn't. No one could.

Simi hugged her again and Mrs. Benson whispered, "I'm sorry for what she did to you."

Simi responded by rubbing Mrs. Benson's back. They stayed that way for a while until their bodies were stiff and cramped..

 They stayed that way for a while until their bodies were stiff and cramped