Playmates

The rising moon shines through the skylight of Mr. Maze's office where he stands, hands in his pocket. Gazing out of the window. He revels in his moment of glory, jumping for joy internally as he thinks about all the things he'll accomplish with Ryu by his side.

He hums a soft tune to an unknown song, nodding his head to the beat. His foot tapping an upbeat cadence on the marble floor. Footsteps are heard behind him as Grid enters the office, closing the door behind him. Attracting Maze's attention, he turns to see his constituent. Greeting him with a triumphant smile.

"I hope you're here to show me what you witnessed being the eyes and ears of Ryu's mission."

"That I am." He confirms, proceeding over to him with a tablet in hand. 

"I think you'll be pleasantly pleased. Not only by the mission being completed, but also because of how efficient he was. Here, take a look." Holding out the tablet in which Maze takes.

Pressing play on the security footage, he watches with intent. Humming in approval. Taking a mental note of Ryu's ability to command the fight to his favor. There's also a sense of surprise because not once did he expect Ryu to be so vigilant, nor did he expect him to be so well trained. It was a gamble, an extremely huge gamble, but from the looks of the footage, it's going to pay off tremendously.

"I think we made an excellent choice in keeping the Haley son. He can be of substantial value to us if we continue to play our cards right." He informs, holding out the tablet in which Grid takes.

"So, what's the next step?"

"The next step is to give him a list of names of the people who had a hand in killing his family. And a hand in attempting to kill him as well."

"Smart move." A chuckle leaves his lips. 

"Our enemy is his enemy however, when everyone on that list is taken care of, what happens when he realizes that this was an elaborate scheme?"

Walking  to his desk, taking a seat behind it. A coy smile graces Maze's lips. 

"Although I trust you my friend, I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Kane." Leaning over the desk. 

"If you value your position here, I suggest you change the topic."

He nods. "Sorry, boss. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to assure that your plan succeeds?"

"Yes actually, there is." Leaning back against the chair, propping his feet up on the corner of the desk. 

"You're a good-looking man, Grid. I think you are the complete package if I must say which leads me to this. I want you to get closer to Ryu."

"Why?"

"To make sure that he remains on the path I have chosen for him." Voice unwavering. 

"He needs to feel at home here— like he can trust us. He's had everything taken away from him in a matter of weeks. He's angry, and we need to harness that anger so that we can practically walk to victory. With you by his side, and in his ears... I think this can work out perfectly."

Taking a moment to ruminate on Maze's words, Grid proceeds to the window. Heaving a sigh of uneasiness. He doesn't appreciate the fact that he's being pawned off to someone he barely knows, but in the back of his mind he knows Maze is correct.

"Although I don't agree with being sold to your new friend, I'll be your eyes and ears." He agrees, turning around to face him. 

"I'll keep him close, but I want something in return."