Chapter VI

In any case you guys are wondering what Memori Vivere means, it's "Remember to live" in Latin. :)

+++++

"How many times did I pray you'd find me?
How many wishes on a star? Gazing off into the dark
Dreaming I'd see your face
Safe at home, unafraid
Captured in your embrace"

(You first believe - Hoku)

"You're thinking of Emily again," Cece broke the silence.

Alison was sitting on the couch with her knees across her chest while listening to her ipod, lost in her thoughts. Cece reached for Alison's sullen face, startling Ali.

"No, I'm just.. Listening to music. What are you making for dinner?" Alison replied dryly, obviously trying to avoid the conversation leading to Emily.

"My special dish, mac n' cheese," Cece proudly replied.

Alison stuck out her tongue playfully, and mouthed the word "gross!".

"Special dish my ass. That's the only thing you can make."

"Hey, have some respect to THE mac n cheese. C'mon, Alison. Get your skinny butt off of my couch."

"You wish blondie. I'm only eating your crap because you made me do it under oath over an iPad Mormon bible app."

"A smart girl should always know her alas. Now eat before it gets cold."

"I am eating. Duh. See?" Alison playfully slightly opened her mouth showing bits of mac n cheese.

"Now that is not the posh Alison I know," Cece replied with a huge smile on her face.

Cece turned her back and resumed unpacking their groceries.

"Ce?"

"Yeah?

"Thank you. For this. For looking after me. Even for the crappy mac n cheese that you always serve me. But make no mistake, Ce. I will deny that I said that if anyone asks me," Alison said gratuitously.

Cece managed to form a smile on her lips, her eyes fixated on Alison.

"We're family, Ali. Families look after each other. Support each other and all that bullshit," Cece said reassuringly.

Truly the past years had not been kind to Alison. It had changed her into the kind of person Cece didn't think Ali had in her. She'd gone thin over the years. Her distinguished cheek bones no longer boasts of the latest blush on's. Her Blue eyes left without a sparkle. Gone were the glint on Ali's eyes. Her devilish smiles were replaced with faint ones. Hardly a smile would form on her beautiful lips these days. Her golden, wavy locks now just settles oftentimes into a lose bun. Alison's usual posh and confident demeanor took a backseat and welcomed a quiet and reserved Alison. The Queen B, manipulative, pathological liar Ali was back in high school is nothing but a thing of the past now. What's left is just... Alison. Perhaps no proper words can describe how Alison turned out to be. Because now there's just her. Plain Alison. A hallow shell. Her and her wall of defenses.

Cece crossed her arms against her chest and hopelessly looked at Alison lost in her thoughts again. She heaved a sigh and hoped for a ray of shine onto her best friend's life. But what good would a ray of shine do when all Ali has settled into is a life filled with darkness and sorrow.

"Ali?"

"Yeah?"

"You wanna go out for a walk? We can rate the boys we'll see--gay or nay. You know how much fun that would be," Cece said trying to cheer up Alison.