Chapter VII

"Now it's clear just like the sky in summer time

This moment in our lives when everything is right

They may try to stop us, they may not understand

We rule our own land, this world is in our hands

Promise that you'll run away with me

Choose an island from the open sea

We'll be running wild and free

The sand and the waves and you and me

We'll be running wild and..."

(Free - Kidwolf feat B.V.)

(Flashback)

"I don't think I've ever laughed this hard," Alison managed to say the words while containing her laughter.

It was after dinner when Emily and Alison decided to go out for a walk. They already passed by their school when Ali grabbed Emily's hand and paced back to school.

Confused, "Ali? Where are we going?"

"Just don't let go of my hand okay? We're going back to school."

"But it's almost ten already. It's closed. We might get caught. My mom's going to freak out if we get in trouble."

Alison halted, catching her breath, "I told Mrs. F I'll take care of you remember? This going to school still means I am taking care of you. Relax, Em. You've got to break some rules sometimes," Alison said with a playful wink and her famous grin.

Emily shot her a hesitant look, Alison did not miss it and opted to leave a hasty kiss on Emily's lips, leaving the girl even more confused. But Emily knows Alison well. She knows she'll go through great lengths for her. She believed it when Alison said she will take care of her.

"Okay, Ali. But what's so special here in school?"

"You," Alison said abruptly.

"We're here!"

"Where's here? Swimming pool?"

"Yeah!" Alison responded with a sheepish smile.

The smell of chlorine and eerie silence wrapped the two girls. Alison propped herself to sit and submerge her legs onto the water. Emily did the same shortly after.

Emily caught Alison's reflection in the water... She looked pensive.

"I like swimming pools. I like how sometimes its cold, sometimes its warm. But still, it's just water."

Emily was a little surprised hearing it from Ali who liked spending more time outside the pool flaunting her body and checking out boys than be actually in the pool.

"I didn't know that," Emily said, not entirely sure how to react to what Ali just said.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning," Alison paused. "I'm tired of running, Em. You've no idea. I'm in constant fear. Always. I don't understand how for some reason I survive, I aways do. I get back up. I don't know how I do it anymore."

"Ali..."

"Pools remind me so much of you. I'd imagine you saving me, Em. From drowning. From so many things. I would never admit to the girls that all I wanted was to be saved after years of running away and hiding. To live a normal life again. We were doing okay before A. Now that part of my life feels like a distant memory. Sometimes I'd think maybe I just made that up."