Chapter XI

Cause I can't face the evening straight

You can offer me escape

Houses move and houses speak

If you take me there you'll get relief

Relief

Relief

It's too much

Too bright

Too powerful

(Last flowers - Radiohead)

Emily gave herself a second look in front of the mirror. She applied her lipstick as her last touch of make up, feeling satisfied after she grabbed her car keys off of her table and headed to the parking lot. She straightened out the imaginary crease off of her red-fitting dress. It was just 5 minutes after six in the evening. She was quite confident she wouldn't be caught in a traffic jam heading to the restaurant to see her mom and have dinner with her and Alexis.

The drive was peaceful and calming, hardly any traffic just as Emily predicted. It didn't take long for Emily to spot her mom and Alexis leaving their car, walking to the restaurant. Apparently they all arrived just at the same time. Emily inevitably smiled seeing her mom and Alexis appear to be getting along well. She called for her mom's and Alexis' attention and walked faster so she could catch up with them.

Alexis already made a reservation at the restaurant for the three of them earlier the day. By the time they entered the restaurant, the person-in-charge checked off Alexis' name on their list and all three women were immediately ushered to their reserved table. Alexis gave some suggestions on what to order, which both Emily and Pam gladly followed.

"Aly, I meant to ask what you're majoring in UMass? I would assume you're also in Junior year like Emily?"

"Oh, no. I'm in my Sophomore year. Apparently here in the US board school course units don't amount to anything so I need to take a couple more courses again."

"You went to a boarding school? It must have been hard not being with your parents? Where did you go?"

"In Paris, actually it was great there but I guess I just want to do something different so I thought of moving here and I don't know, try here, for a change." Pam gave Emily a meaningful look at the mention of 'Paris'. Emily averted her eyes and consciously changed the topic to the weather and eventually led to a couple more day-to-day topics.

"Excuse me girls, I need to take this call." Pam left the table and walked to the bar to take the call. "Yes? Alison?"

After dinner at Emily's apartment...

"Tell you what. I don't know what I'm more nervous about. Because now that I've met your mom, I'm probably more nervous meeting Spence, Aria and Hanna? Your mom is awesome, babe. I wish my mom was at least a little bit like her," Alexis said dryly.

"Don't be, Aly. My mom adores you. Just relax, okay? Plus the girls have been bugging me to meet you especially Hanna who I think has a girl crush on you."

"Jealous?"

"Maybe?" Emily replied with an involuntary shrug.

A skype conference call alert interrupted both the girls. Mrs. Fields on the other hand excused herself and advised Emily that she needs to buy tea at the cafe nearby Emily's apartment.

Hannah, Spence, Aria: Emiiiiilllllyyy!

Emily: hey guyyyys! How's everyone?

Hanna: is that Alexis?