Chapter X

In a manner of speaking I just want to say

That I could never forget the way

You told me everything

By saying nothing

In a manner of speaking I don't understand

How love in silence becomes reprimand

But the way that I feel about you

Is beyond words

(In a manner of speaking - Nouvelle Vague)

(Flashback)

Emily and Alison we're sitting beside each other during Literature class, both girls stealing glances at each other. Emily consciously made an effort to wipe her huge smile off of her face. Alison was listless out of boredom, but she was grinning like an idiot because of Emily nonetheless. Alison inwardly groaned, her fingers tapped impatiently on her desk. She couldn't wait for the class to just be over.

Spencer, being her usual self, was already ahead of the discussion. Hannah secretly put nail polish on her nails under her desk. While Aria, equally bored to death, had a dreamy look plastered on her face, you can already see the letters E-z-r-a popping off of her forehead. Their teacher, Ms. Ramsey, was no better than a snooze-fest, Alison would rather watch a hamster dreaming on youtube than listen to her. Or better yet, spend time with her girlfriend Emily.

"...Alison, I'd like you to be the lead, you can pick 6 of your classmates for your group.Class, we're having a presentation tomorrow."

All the other girls heard except Emily and Alison who were rather too busy stealing glances at each other for the nth time and purposefully grazing against each other's skin whenever they can. Spencer, seeing Emily and Alison too busy flirting with each other, made a mental note to remind the two about their talent show for tomorrow's Literature class later during lunch break.

When the bell rang signaling Literature class is over, all five girls stood with Alison leading the group while hand in hand with Emily. Curious eyes immediately followed the blonde and the brunette.

As the girls walk along the school corridors, Emily and Alison's intertwined hands earned more whispers and stares they could burn a hole onto the girls' backs. But Alison is Alison. She was used to stares, whispers and gossips. She liked the attention. She liked it even more knowing she's walking with her best friend, scratch that, girlfriend. A smug smile was clearly formed on Alison's lips the moment her hand found Emily's.

Emily on the other hand was not used to the kind of attention they were getting. She couldn't wrap around the fact that Alison's so comfortable with their relationship status considering she's always dated boys, add to that the fact that it's Alison's first time to be with a girl. Emily could tell Alison enjoyed not only the attention but also the fact that they're "out" even if only Hanna, Aria and Spencer knew about their relationship.

She thought Alison would keep their relationship in the wraps. Clearly, Alison is doing the opposite. Emily wasn't ashamed of her new relationship status with Alison. For the lack of a better term, she just didn't know how to respond to Alison's gestures. She's always had low key relationships before. And while it was never a dream of hers to date a Queen of Rosewood High, she had somehow prepared herself to the fact that she and Alison will be the talk of the town in school. She just didn't expect it would be like in the movies where you walk on the corridors with practically everyone gawking at you.