Perilous Pursuit

This is one of my bravest attempts at writing a fanfiction for Swaragini. I had published this on India Forums. Since I am updating all my previous works here, I felt this should go up as well. Based on the feedback I received then, I have tried to edit some bitter parts.

The quote at the end of this One Shot is extracted from the comment left by -Nynaeve. The few words perfectly summarise the overall feel of this piece.

Please leave your feedback in the comments and do ☆ Vote if you liked this story.

My only crime was loving you and my punishment was the broken heart, you gave me when you walked out of my life

- Rashida Rowe

ACT I

Watching Lakshya being brought to consciousness boiled Sanskaar's blood. Here was the guy he had been frantically searching for past 22 months. He had given up sleep and food, forgot the meaning of peace and patience, lived the day in dark and searched for flickering lights in the night, for this one guy - his brother, Lakshya.

While everyone else had expressed their exhaustion from detailed searches, consoled themselves that Lakshya had left on his own accord, and been pessimist to the extent of believing him non-existent in this world, Sanskaar was devoid of all those feelings. Not because he had turned cold-blooded and inhuman, but because the love of his life had devoid him of any humane feeling. She stripped him of the right to feel anything but accomplished in his search for Lakshya .

***

Lakshya opened his eyes slowly. He was watching the real world after a very long time. He used to visit this realm in between his doses, when the effect reduced. He would remember a chaos ensued life that sucked the zeal of his soul. As a remedy, he would take higher dose and slip away for a bit longer time. He was happy in that shaded realm where he only had to think where he can find his next dosage.

Today, however, he was not in the dark confines of his room. He was in broad daylight, the sun piercing his gaze. His head hurt as if his skull was too big for his brain. He tried to straighten but found his bones and muscles sore. His clothes were wet and he was lying in front of police station.

Before he could take in anything else, someone made him stand up holding his collar. A face came in his sight, the face of the brother who had made him understand the critical situation with an intensity to not hesitate a threat to his life.

***

Sanskaar completed the formalities for Lakshya to be released on parole. He was charged with drug trafficking case. Upon his nudging, Lakshya confided in consuming drugs but never involving in the business itself.