Chapter Two: A Secret Message

I haul myself up onto a balcony of an apartment room. Peering in, I see that it's not vacant as a family sits down to have dinner. The smell of spaghetti and meatballs wafer into my nostrils, and my mouth waters at the sight of bread sticks. My stomach grumbles reminding me that I haven't eaten today. In fact, I don't remember the last time I had something to eat. I unconsciously step closer to the sliding door leading into the apartment. I catch myself before doing something stupid and jump down from the ledge. I take my coat off and pull out my now golden colored wings and lift into the air.

Perching on the roof of the apartment building, I pull my wings back into my body as I step down from the edge of the ledge. I put my coat back on and searched for a place to lay down for the night. After picking a corner I lay down on my back and stare up into the beautiful night sky. The stars twinkle brightly and I find myself wanting to join them in the night sky. What would life be like to just shine in darkness, not worrying about if your next move could be your last. I want to be a star, twinkling in darkness offering a calm peaceful light.

I reflect on the day's events keeping my eyes on the sky. However, my eyes no longer see the beautiful stars as I find myself thinking about his strong jawline covered in a dark shadow like stubble. His lonely and confused greyish blue orbs that mesmerize me, sadden me at the same time. I imagine his roguishly long dark hair that works to conceal his facial features. He isn't the same man he used to be, he isn't under the control of HYDRA anymore. He's just lost in an ocean of memories afraid to touch the surface.

The two mercenaries are next to have my mind's spotlight. Who sent them? Why are they after me? Is it because I'm not as dangerous a job as the others? I can be deadly, I just seem to have lost my touch. Maybe that's why they chose to go after me first, because I'm the easiest to kill. I have to admit, the thought kind of hurts my pride a little. Still, I need to figure out some way to warn Bucky about the danger he is oblivious to. I'll figure it out tomorrow it's too late to think about it right now. Yawning, I turn to my side and close my eyes. Using my arm as a pillow I try and get some sleep.

~~~~

I'm tied to a metal bed, with straps holding down my appendages. They have my head secured so that I cannot move it. I look around wildly for any indication of what's going on.

"Ah, our little bird is awake." A strong Australian accent meets my ears in a cynical manner. He chuckles and walks towards me grabbing a scalpel on his way. "Such a shame that your metabolizes drugs so quickly. However, this makes it all the more enticing for me." He smirks and holds the scalpel near my right ear. I try and pull away but the restraints are too strong for me to even budge. "This might hurt." He says right before putting the scalpel to my skin and slicing the backside of my ear from top to bottom. I scream out in agony as blood runs from the cut. He uses forceps to hold the wound open before taking some teasers and pulling on the tendons. He withdraws after a few seconds and the forceps fall away as my healing starts.

"Fascinating." He says writing it down in his notebook, before turning back to me. "I wonder if your eyes heal too."

"Please don't." I beg, pulling on my restraints.

"Shhh, I'll be gentle... well, as gentle as I can." He says laughing bringing the scalpel to my eye he uses his other hand to keep it held open.

"Dr. Connally, vhat do you zink you are doing? Zere is no time for experiments, you're supposed to be prepping her, not testing her. You're late, hurry up or you'll face zee Divector's vrath." A German voice says halting the scalpel and saving me pain.

"Fine, later then mate." The Aussie says eyeing me, making me very uncomfortable. He pulls his hand away and puts the scalpel on his table of tools. Then he releases my restraints and walks in front of me grabbing a file that is on top of a stack of papers. "Read it." He spits out at me, annoyed that he was interrupted.