Chapter Three: You Again

I rip my wrist out of his grasp and propel myself forwards as fast as I can. My scalp burns as someone pulls on my hair roughly, but all I can think about is getting away. Breaking free of their grasp, I bolt down the hallway weaving through the sea of people crowding the museum. fearing for my life, I look behind me to check the distance between myself and my pursuers. I suddenly slam into someone throwing me off balance and sending them into the floor. I crash into the ground, putting my arms out in front of myself to catch myself. An audible crack drifts in the air as I feel my wrist break from the force of the impact. I don't have time to feel the pain as I push myself off the ground and onto my feet again. I turn toward the door, bursting through it and stumbling onto the street. I look left and right debating which way to go.

I go left shoving past people as I try to put as much space between the mercenaries and myself as possible. My muscles burn from all the running, and my lungs can't seem to catch enough air. I want to slow down but I know that I can't. I look over my shoulder to see that they are close on my heels, gaining on me. I need to be fast, more agile than them if I plan on keeping my life. Ahead of me people are stopped waiting for the crosswalk sign to go from the orange hand to the white walk symbol. I don't have time to wait for the change, so I charge into traffic. Out of the corner of my eye I can see a car heading straight for me, the driver lays down on the horn screaming at me to get out of the way.

With all of my organs in my throat I take a leap of faith and spring upwards. I run up the hood and roof of the car before crashing and rolling on the ground. I quickly pick myself up and bold down the intersection. Making it to the other side of the road I look behind me to see the mercenaries are still chasing me but are further behind. So I pick up speed and cut a corner, slamming my back into the wall and staying as still as possible. After a few seconds, I see both of the hunters run past me oblivious to my sudden disappearance. I slump down and place my hands on my knees, panting to catch my breath. I feel like I'm going to faint so I put my head between my knees so my heart doesn't have to work as hard to pump blood to my brain.

Minutes pass as I take the time to calm down so I don't draw attention when I enter the streets. I check my wrist, remembering the sound of it breaking. There's no pain, no bruising, no anything. It's like it never happened. Maybe, since the fire, my healing speed has improved from before like my hearing, smelling and vision had. There are no scrapes on my palms from falling after my encounter with the car. The only thing that seems to be different, is my stamina. Maybe because it takes more energy to heal faster or use my other heightened senses. Before, my stamina was incredible. I could run without tiring, I could fight without feeling weak or losing strength. Now, it's different. I'm becoming weaker much faster, and that is a dangerous weakness to have right now with the circumstances I'm in. I shake my head to clear my thought. I don't have time to sit around and think about those things right now. I need to move, and fast.

I walk at a normal pace, going unnoticed by the people absorbed in the digital devices. The mercenaries know what I look like so it's easier for them to identify me. I'll need a new disguise, which means more stealing and shoplifting. I really hate that, because I feel so guilty afterwards. However, I have no choice right now, so I walk around looking for a place to make my transformation. Eyeing an H&M, I decide it's better than nothing, not like I could ever afford it anyway. Pausing I look down at my tattered, dirty joggers. Then I feel my loose fitting black t-shirt that has several holes in it, and my comfortable black coat that's covered in dirt and stains. There's no way I could go into an H&M unnoticed and come out without drawing attention. So I keep searching for a place that will have less expensive clothes. After a few minutes I come across a Forever 21 and enter, catching the attention of the cashier and a few helpers as the bell alerts them of a new customer. This just became a lot harder to get in and out unnoticed.