Chapter Eighteen: Candescence

I storm out of the building and back into the rain outside. I turn to Bucky who steps out after me. Unfurling my wings, I dart over to him and grab him by the strap of his bag pushing up into the air leaving behind a gust of dust. The look of utter surprise burns itself into my memory, if I wasn't so angry I'd find it funny. I lean back to allow him to get a better hold of me before gravity pulls at him. I change the position of my hands to where they're wrapped securely around him and, for the sake of aerodynamics, I hold his legs back by wrapping mine around them. I turn to where I can fly normally and hold Bucky against my chest with him facing me.

Fueled by fury, I waste no time in gaining altitude and speed. I push myself to my limit, putting everything I have into the push and pull of my winged movements. It's like rowing with a second set of arms. An ebb and flow of a set of back muscles make the first leg of the journey easy even with the painful, freezing rain.

"Better burn that image of my chest in your memory, it's the closest you're going to get to seeing them." I say, dropping my eyes down to see Bucky who is staring back at me.

"I wasn't looking." He says emotionlessly, to which I respond with an express that can be interpreted as 'are-you-for-real?'

"Uh huh." I say looking back to the vast sky ahead of me.

"What are you going to do when you get there?"

"Well it's safe to say that Giovanni knows that we're coming so whatever we do, he'll be prepared for it. So I honestly thought about just bursting through his doors and ripping his head off, but he'll be surrounded by guards. There's an underground passage that he will most likely be anticipating since I used it last time. We could land at the perimeter and get over the wall. No matter what choice we make, we will always be met with his guards."

"If he's expecting us to try and sneak in, then why not just drop down in the middle of the courtyard and draw him out."

"I draw him out and you take the shot?"

"Yeah, I have a pistol in my bag."

"Sounds good to me."

It takes several hours to reach Rome but spotting Giovanni's villa takes seconds. The off white color of his stone mansion, the olive trees lining his property, the beautiful marble water fountain all are trademarks of Giovanni Graffanino. I start the descent at a quick pace to avoid being seen as much as possible. I glance down to Bucky non verbally asking if he's ready to drop. He nods and I release him in the shadow by the house. I turn to land in the middle of the courtyard where the hidden entrance is. I land in a kneeling position and look around me for his guards.

Crouched, I move forward towards the house. The sound of his glass double doors opening on the second floor, snags my attention. I jerk my head up at the same time as I signal to Bucky to find cover. I scramble towards the shadows but I'm halted by Giovanni shining a spotlight on me. Exactly where I want you Giovanni.

"I was wondering how long it would take for you to get here." Giovanni says with a nauseating smirk on his once handsome face. I stand up straight and stare into the eyes of my past lover. He has two guards on each side of him, rendering it impossible to shoot him through his guards from any angle unless you're standing where I am.

"I live to impress Gio." I say shortly as I narrow my eyes at him.

"Where's your friend?" He asks, emphasizing on 'friend' with disdain.

"Aw Giovanni, are you... jealous?" I say sarcastically.

"Tagliare le cazzate." Cut the bullshit. He says, anger written all over his face.