Chapter Twelve: House on the River

I head back to the dam in order to retrieve my duffel bag and clothes. As we near the roof I lean back to slow us down to land. As we touch down he releases me. My leg is killing me, the glass is in a vital spot in my thigh. It's pressing on my femoral artery. If I removed it without having a clamp nearby I'll bleed out. It's best to do this when I have the supplies I need to stitch the nick up and suture my leg.

"We can't stay here, I just need to grab a few things. Here put the rifle in the bag." I say motioning to the duffel. I grab my clothes and stuff them down in the bag along with my boots and the rifle I took. I notice he hasn't put his rifle in the bag. I pause and look up to see him standing there glaring at me.

"Where were you?! I waited for you, WHERE WERE YOU?" He spits out at me.

"Listen Bucky I was in Italy, I had to go there to get the items on the list. It took longer than I intended it too. I had to sneak on some flights and I-"

"Save it, I don't care for your theatrics. If you're going to lie to me at least make it convincing." He says with disdain. Lie? I'm not lying, I'm telling the truth.

"Look, I don't know what happened in there but, I didn't mean for any of it to happen to you. I'm not lying to you either, I really was getting the supplies. Look in the bag." I say gesturing to the bag on the ground. "Listen, we can't stay here we need-"

"I know I already moved us to a new safe house."

"You did? Is that why your duffel was empty?"

"Yeah I came back to wait for you, and that's when they found me. Is there something you aren't telling me about yourself? These people are after you. Not me. Just you."

"Me? I don't know why they would single me out. You were a HYDRA agent too, it doesn't make sense to focus on me."

"It doesn't matter, we need to go. I'll tell you where the safe house is." He says putting his rifle into the bag and closing it. "You'll have to hold on to me because I can't use my arm. They did something to it and I can't move it."

"Okay I'll figure out a way to fix it or meet up with another old contact if I have to. Lets go." I say wrapping my arms under his armpits and holding him tight before I lift us up off the ground. It's been an hour and the weight of the bag around Bucky's shoulders and his weight is almost too much for me. I can't feel my arms or my legs but I have a death grip on him. I feel faint but I know it's just because of the stress I put on myself.

"We're almost there, take a right up here." He says but I can barely hear him over the sound of the pounding in my head.

"Okay..."I say weakly but follow his instructions.

"Here, down there, second floor." He instructs and I coast in braking at the balcony on the second floor. I release him and he lands with a thud I go to touchdown but as soon as I touch the floor I collapse. "Get up, we still have to move." He says walking past me, in a rude manner. I understand he isn't pleased right now but neither am I.

"Can-Can you help me up? You're heavier than you look." I ask, and he slightly rolls his eyes but comes back to help pick me up. Once I'm on my feet he moves away, and I hobble after him.

"How's the leg?" He asks opening the door for me. I walk past him into the dark safe house and go to the couch. I close my eyes and put my fingertips to my temples.

"It feels amazing thanks for asking." I reply sarcastically, gingerly touching my wound. "My head is pounding and I can't stop trembling. I'm not sure what's going on with me."

"I'll take a look at your leg, but you'll have to take the suit off."

"Well as long as you're not repulsed by half naked women I guess I have no problem taking the suit off." I say lifted one eyelid to peek at him. He remains silent for a while and I begin to worry he might actually be repulsed by half naked women.