Chapter Five: The Dam Base

The sound of hushed voices disrupt my slumber. The scent of expensive perfume and a hint of old blood have my eyes snapping open. I instantly know that I've been found by the two mercenaries. How did they find me so fast? I was sure to confuse them, it should have taken days, even weeks to find me. They found me within hours. Something is definitely off about this situation. I quietly get up and exit my apartment to softly knock on Bucky's door. When there's no answer, I jiggle the knob and push the door open. The creaking hinges make me cringe as I slip inside. I navigate in the darkness which is surprisingly easy with my eyesight. I open the door to Bucky's bedroom expecting to see him asleep. He's crouched beside his bed in an offensive stance.

"Bucky, it's me Eden. They've found us and we need to move.I know another safe house location where we will be safe. You need to come with me before they decide they want to capture you." I whisper into the dark room, half expecting him to calm down, and half expecting him to attack me.

"I knew this would happen, I know I shouldn't have trusted you." He says glaring in my direction.

"To be fair, you knew this was a risk yet you gave me a chance anyway. Now give me a chance to get us out of her before there's a fight. I know an old SHIELD safe house, just come with me before it's too late." I plead as time slips by. "We don't have time to argue, we need to go. Grab whatever you want to take and meet me in the hall." I say turning and creeping back down the hall as quietly as possible. "I seriously hope you're not heavy." I say under my breath as I leave his apartment.

Two minutes later, Bucky comes out into the hallway with a bag in tow. I did NOT think this out very well. "Follow me, this way." I say sneaking to the hallway fire escape window. I use my fingertips to lift the heavy window up enough for us to get out onto the metal grates.

"What's next?" He asks looking at me for answers.

"Shhh. Give me a second." I say closing my eyes and focusing all my energy on hearing where they went. The footsteps are at the front entrance, nowhere near us for the time being. I open my eyes and with a serious expression on my face. "Climb over the side and hang there " I mummer, pointing to the metal grated ledge.

"You want me to WHAT?" He asks confused.

"Shh, climb over the side and hang there for a second. Are you deaf?" I whisper annoyed knowing our escape time is running out fast. Thankfully he does as I ask and hangs on with one hand as he flips himself over the edge. I look down at him before asking, "Do you trust me?"

"You're asking me that now?" He whispers incredulously.

"Good point." I say before coming to the edge and unfolding my wings. I grab him under the arms and hoist him up the best I can. "Hold on tight." I say preparing myself for the added weight.

"Hold onto wha-" He doesn't have time to finish before I lift us in the air, straining immensely as I struggle to carry the extra weight.

"My god, you're really heavy." I grunt using all my strength to lift us higher in the air so I can start gliding.

"I had a heavy dinner." He mumbles, "This is really uncomfortable."

"I'm sorry, did you expect cushioned seats on this ride?" I mock as I start to level out. I wrap my legs around his, drawing them back to where his legs aren't dangling anymore, but my back muscles are straining from doing so. "Better?" I ask through tight lips.

"Hardly. But thanks anyway, I can feel you shaking so I know it's not easy for you."

"Is the Winter Soldier thanking little ole me? Should I be impressed or offended? I'd hate to underestimate you for the third time." I retort as I search for the dam base where we had grouped before the fall of HYDRA/SHIELD. I rummage through my memory of how to get there and seem to come up with nothing. I'll have to rely on my sense of keen intuition to guide us there. A seed of unease starts to grow in my stomach, as I recount on the speed in which I was almost caught again. If they got their hands on Bucky, what sort of torture would they put him through. It can't be any worse than what HYDRA did to him, to us.