chapter 6

4.36 AM. I've not slept at all. He kissed me. It was brief, but he kissed me. Why? He did say he liked me. Maybe it's because I help him. "Come on, Felicity. He's a vigilante. He's being hunted by the entire metro police." I rolled over and grabbed one of my king sized pillows. "Of course I'd like him." Slowly, and fitfully, I fell asleep.

Working on only two hours of sleep was extremely difficult. That is until Oliver walked in and made my job just a little bit harder. Completely concentrated on the numbers scrolling across my screen I called for him to enter without looking away from the screen when he knocked.

"Are you busy?" He asked.

"Sort of. What's the matter?"

"I was wondering if you could help me figure something out." I stopped what I was doing and looked at him. His face was withdrawn and tight.

"Okay."

He fiddled with something and tossed a small baggie on my desk. I moved away from the drug like it was a snake. "My sister- she was high on this when she came in the house last night. I found this in her purse. Can you tell me what it is, what it's made of?"

I picked up the bag with a tissue and the cut my eyes at him. "I'm not a scientist you know. Why couldn't you go down to the basement and ask them?"

"I don't trust them. I trust you."

That caught me off guard and I gaped at him. "Oh. Well, in that case. We can go down there together."

He stood and followed me out. I didn't see John anywhere which surprised me. "Where's your bodyguard?"

"Doing some research on this of his own."

"Oh, okay. You must really care about your sister. I'm an only child so I don't know what it's like to really look after someone." I clamped my mouth closed quickly. He tilted his head slightly and looked at me as we made our way into the elevators. On the 19th floor the doors opened and a man walked on. Oliver took a step closer to me, sort of putting himself in between me and this stranger.

"Felicity, hi. My name is Charles. I'm a friend of Jessica." This man with his slicked back black hair and crooked smile held out his hand to me. My heart beat slightly faster when Oliver shook his hand.

"I'm Oliver."

"Oh," Charles shook his hand vigorously, "Mr.Queen, I didn't notice it was you. I'm sorry."

"That's okay." He pressed a button on the elevator and the door opened on the 5th floor. "I believe this is your floor."

Charles looked up and said, "No. I'm going to-" but didn't finish because Oliver hit his binder out of his hands. He grabbed for it and tripped over the small crack between the elevator and the floor. "Watch your step Charles. It was a pleasure meeting you."

I have to say the next few moments were not my best. I stood there staring at Oliver like he had two heads. Eyes wide and mouth hanging open. The doors closed and he took a deep breath and then looked at me. "What?"

"I - but he- that wasn't- why?" I stuttered.

"I didn't like the way he was looking at you." He didn't give me a chance to say anything before he swept me off the elevator and said, "After you."

One last look at him over my shoulder and I stalked off to the science department.

A few people passed and said hello to me and I noticed with every passing person Oliver walked a little bit closer until finally he walked with his hand pressed lightly on the small of my back. I didn't question it becaue it made me feel important, even if just for that moment.

"Felicity!" Dr. Grand, and one of my few friends here smiled wide when I walked in. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Dr. Grand, this is Oliver Queen." They shook hands, Dr. Grand being a little less than impressed with his presence. "What are you two doing together? Down here, I mean."

I pursed my lips at him and said, "I have a question. I need a favor."

"Anything for you, Felicity." He pointed out. Dr. Grand's distrust for Oliver runs as long as Oliver's list of women. So I understand the way he's acting at the moment. I handed him the baggie wrapped in tissue and said, "One of my friends asked me to find out the contents of this pill because his girlfriend was ... using it. She ended up in the hospital and, well, it wasn't found in her system. Do you think you can tell me what's in it?"

He opened the tissue and stared at it, then at me and then at Oliver. "You aren't . . ."

I shook my head.

Dr. Grand nodded. "Why is he here?"

I cocked my head to the side. "He's my friend."

I didn't miss the way his eyes cut at Oliver. Who was quiet this whole time. I said my goodbyes to Dr. Grand and Oliver and I walked back to the elevators. 

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

He nodded and scrunched up his eyebrows. "We're friends?"

I looked up at him like he's crazy. "Are we not friends?"

A slow smile spread across his face. "Yes. We are."

We stepped into the elevator and Oliver had a huge smile spread across his face. Why is being friends such a happy feat to him? Whatever, I'm friends with Oliver Queen. I smiled, too.

"You trust her?" Diggle asked me, staring at me incredulously.

"Yes, I do." I  swung a metal rod at his head which he blocked meticulously. "I think with someone that has her knowledge of computers we could do things a little bit better."

"Oh. I see. Its not that you trust her, it's that you want to use her knowledge of computers." He dropped his rods and stepped away from me. "You can't go around and just use people, Oliver. Especially someone as special as she is. I see the way you look at her and I heard about the incident with the man, Charles, on the elevator. He's actually going around telling people that you attacked him for talking to her!"

"Pft. I didn't attack him. He was practically salivating for her!" I crossed my eyes stubbornly.

"Oliver, if you like her then be normal about it and ask her out."

"I cant risk bringing someone I care about into this life. Even if it is to keep them close and keep them safe."

"I'm going to say it now, that way I can tell you I told you so later. You won't be able to stay away from her, so you might as well just tell her who you are."

"She likes the Hood, Diggle. I can't be him all the time. What if she doesn't like Oliver?"

"She does. You are more yourself when you are the Hood then you are a any other time. Just do me and yourself a favor. Tell her how you feel before it's too late."

Diggle walked away leaving me there under my club alone. It might already be too late for me. I think I'm already falling for her. I think I already care too much for Felicity Smoak.