Chapter Eight: The Truth

After getting pulled off the front lines and told we were going to be heading back to England, we were all ecstatic. That brief respite was soon tossed away when Lipton gave the notice that we would be moving out at 0700 the next morning. The following few months were excruciating in that we had almost no breaks, my jacket and uniform were crusted with blood, and I smelled like a sewer. I could have done something about the uniform if it wasn't for a stingy supply officer, but that couldn't have been helped. I received no correspondence from home which made me incredibly worried. On nights where I had a small break, I would always hope and pray that my mother was doing okay. At the very least I was hoping she was still alive.

My actions during those few months as I lead our battalions' medics earned me more than one pat on the back from the officers. I was glad for the recognition but felt somewhat awkward? I wasn't sure how to place the feeling. No matter what, I still couldn't shake the feeling that I deserved their commendations. I was sitting in my makeshift office that was nestled in the aid station doing some paperwork when Col. Sink entered. At first, I didn't notice him and kept on with my paperwork. It wasn't until he cleared his throat that I realized he was standing in the doorway. I hurriedly stood up and saluted.

"Colonel Sink, sir. If you don't mind me asking, what brings you here? Sir."

"At ease, Master Sergeant. I wanted to personally come to see how the aid station was holding up."

"Well, we're pretty low on supplies right now. I put in requisitions for what we need, but that supply officer is being really stingy with just about everything. If we're moving out soon, our battalion is going to be in big trouble if we don't get our supplies." I replied as I sat back down in my chair, running my fingers through my hair.

"That supply officer won't be a problem anymore."

"Sir?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"We're moving out tomorrow. We have trucks coming and we'll be on our way back to England."

"Thank god. I'll finally be able to get ahold of new uniforms. I've just about washed this one down to the last thread." I chuckled.

"I also wanted to talk to you about something else. We've got promotions coming down from division to make up for what we lost on D-Day. We've got a couple for Easy Company, and I was wondering if you could provide some insight as to who you think is deserving."

I retreated into my own thoughts for a moment, thinking mostly of our NCO's and of my medics.

"My first choice for a promotion would be Sergeant Lipton. He's an honorable man through and through and leads his squad well. For another promotion, maybe Malarkey. My medics themselves have expressed their want to stay in their current positions. Doc Roe is definitely deserving of it, but he's said he wouldn't want the extra responsibility."

"Nobody else comes to mind?"

"No, sir. As much as I'd like to achieve an officer's rank, I don't think that it's time. Perhaps in another year or so, if my chance arises. Anyway, sir, thank you for coming in. If it's all the same to you, I have to get through as much paperwork as possible."

I stood at attention once again and saluted. Sink saluted back and left my office, stopping along the way to speak to Eugene and Spina. I took a swig of water from my canteen and went back to my paperwork. It was going to be a long night.

The next morning when it was time to move out, I hurriedly got dressed and made sure that all my things were squared away before meeting Easy by the trucks. The men around me were chattering excitedly and I couldn't help but smile at them. We were finally heading back to England for a well-deserved respite. For the most part, my ride in the trucks was spent finishing up the paperwork I had to catch up with. Once arriving on our ship that would take us across the channel to England I gladly passed out on the deck. The time it took to get back to Aldbourne seemed to take forever. Time couldn't move fast enough, and I was incredibly eager to shower, change, and get real food in my stomach.