Chapter Thirteen: Surprises

When we finally got pulled off the line, I could hardly believe my ears. I was in the office I shared with Winters when Nix came in to give us the news. It would only be for a short while, but it was something... I hoped for a letter from my family. 

"You ain't messing around Lew? You're serious?" I asked. 

He nodded to me and I set down my pen to rub my eyes.

"You think I'll be able to resupply? We're really short on plasma and morphine."

"Yeah." nodded Lew. "And get yourself a new uniform. That one has enough stains." he chuckled. 

I smiled and went back to my paperwork, periodically yawning and rubbing my eyes. I took a sip of water from my canteen and looked up to see Winters and Nix looking at me.

"You'll even get to sleep through the night." added Winters. 

"Yeah, you look like you need it."

"I'd say I was dreaming but I wouldn't have this much paperwork if I was. When do we move out?" I asked.

"Tomorrow morning."

----------

After making a dent in my paperwork I rushed out to oversee the medics packing up the aid station. The next morning I was overseeing some of my replacement medics who were still learning the ropes. 

"What are you so happy about, Lieutenant?" asked Spina.

"The way I figure, there's probably a letter waiting for me when we reach Mourmelon, and Major Winters said we'd be able to resupply." I smiled. 

"You need to be more excited about sleep, cherie." said Geney, setting a crate down.

"Finish up here and load into the trucks. I'll see you guys in Mourmelon." 

I grabbed my satchel and my pack from where I had it hanging up and heaved myself into the back of one of the trucks. 

"How're you doing, Angel Eyes?" asked Toye, as I sat down beside him.

"Looking forward to a shower."

"I don't think I've seen you sleep a full night in weeks. Make sure you get some rest." said Welsh, climbing into the truck.

"I'll sleep on the way there." I winked and laid my head down on Toye's shoulder before promptly falling asleep.

3RD PERSON POV

When Easy Company moved out, Megan was already passed out cold in the back of the truck. Instead of being their usual rowdy selves, they looked fondly on Lieutenant Bonti and kept quiet for her sake.

"She works twice as hard as any of us and hardly sleeps. She's always out and about, taking care of every one of us. Even Cobb." chuckled Liebgott.

"She sure is an angel." said Luz.

"Sure is." smiled Toye, glancing over at Meg who was snoozing quietly.

"Let's make sure she has her own room when we get to Mourmelon, eh? And first dibs on food." suggested Talbert.

The men all nodded, electing to communicate their decision to the other men when they arrived.

MEG'S POV

"Lieutenant?"

I was roused from my nap by Toye who was gently shaking me awake.

"We arrived in Mourmelon, Lt."

"Thanks, Toye." I yawned and hopped down from the truck.

"We have a little surprise for you." said Harry.