Chapter Thirty-Six: New Beginnings

New York was far too loud and crazy for me now. Where before I had really enjoyed all of the hustle and bustle and all of the culture in the city, I had grown to hate it. The crashes, booms, and bangs of construction workers, cars, etc just brought me right back to the war. In a place that once felt like home, I felt a stranger. I didn't know this place anymore. I felt far removed from the girl I once was. Hell, I'm a woman now. Lots has changed in the past few years, and I felt that it was time for another one.

January 15th was here, and I was getting the mail just like any other day. Lewis had the day off of work and the boys were at school. I picked up the mail and realized there was a thick envelope among them all, addressed to me from Rutgers University. Forgetting the rest of the envelopes I dropped them on the floor and opened it quickly. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Dear Lt. Megan A. Bonti,

Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to the Rutgers University School of Medicine.

In accordance with your military training, we have assessed it and will have you test out of many subjects. You are to be admitted at the beginning of our next term, February 3rd, 1946. From the admissions team to you, we would like to thank you for your service to our country during the war. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call us. We look forward to seeing you!

Sincerely, Associate Dean Hagar, Director of Admissions.

I smiled ear to ear and went to sit down next to Lewis.

"Hey, Lew. Do you think we could talk?" I asked.

Lewis put down the morning paper and furrowed his brows.

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"Everything is fine. But.. Lew, I need a quiet place and one closer to Rutger's University because... well... I got in." I smiled wide.

"Really? My god, Meg! That's amazing!" he smiled and wrapped his arms around me.

"We'd have to move, Lew. I wouldn't be able to stand college in this city. I've been looking at places in Woodbridge. You'd be able to work at Nixon Nitration Works, I'd be able to go to school. The boys would be able to go to a good school there as well. There's a good house I'd like to make an offer on. I hope that you'll move with me. I don't know what me or the boys would do without you."

"Of course. Yes, I'll move with you." he smiled.

***

When the boys came home from school that night, I informed them of our decision. They both understood and took it really well.

"I'm sad because I'll be leaving all my friends, but I can still write to them." said Abraham.

"Of course you can, Abe. Just like I write all of my friends." I smiled. "You'll need to start packing as soon as possible, boys. I start school pretty soon."

"You're really going to medical school? Wow!" said Petr.

"I am, liebling. I'm going to be a doctor." I smiled. "You boys will love the house Lewis and I picked out."

***

Before we even left for Woodbridge, New Jersey, Richard finally came home. He was happy to hear that we'd be moving and was happy to move with us and help. With the help of our neighbors, we were able to quickly pack up the house and move. All the while I had a bounce in my step; I was so excited!

I was now the proud owner of an almost brand new house that was breathtaking

I was now the proud owner of an almost brand new house that was breathtaking. Never in my life would I think that I'd be able to afford a house as nice as this one. It was a pretty large, white house with black shutters. On one side of the home was a glass sun room and on the other side was a two car garage. We had an expansive backyard, a large shed, and plenty of room for other things if we so chose. The rooms themselves were quite expansive; Both the boys could have their own rooms, Lew and I had the master bedroom, Richard had his own room, and we had two other guest rooms besides that. The basement was turned into a workshop.

On the day we arrived at our new home, we quickly went about unpacking all that we could and setting everything up. I was already liking the area we were in. We were in a private area of the town and away from the downtown area. I was absolutely in love with how quiet it was. My new bedroom and office overlooked the backyard. With the sun now setting, the sky was awash with vibrant colors and the setting sun shone on the snow. I smiled to myself and sat down on the edge of my bed. This was a new beginning and I was glad for it. I've come so far and dealt with so much. If I can get through that, I can get through medical school.

***

The boys had already been enrolled in the school they'd be attending and headed off the very next day. I had a few tasks for myself today: Buy cars and school supplies, curtains, and groceries. Lew had gone off to NNW with Richard to show him around and I was left to do those things by myself. Woodbridge itself was small compared to New York City with millions of people. Woodbridge had about 15,000 people living there. The city itself is home to a couple grocery stores, clothing shops, and other businesses including a doctor's office, a dentist, a couple car dealerships, and many others. For a place as small as this, it was bustling with life once you hit the downtown area. It sported a couple coffee shops, two restaurants, a shoe store and a curiosity shop. I continued walking down the street till I reached the car dealerships, ready to bargain and haggle for a couple. I wasn't afraid to intimidate him, either, and thus wore my uniform.

When the salesman saw me I swear his eyes bugged out of his head.

"Hello, sir. I'm looking to buy a couple of cars today." I said.

"Two?" he replied.

"Yes, sir. I saved almost all of my pay from the war to be able to afford them."

"You-You're Lt. Bonti."

"Yes, I am. Now let's talk cars."

Multiple times he tried recommending me cars that would be easier for a woman to drive, but after assuring him that I could drive just about anything, he finally backed off and showed me what I asked for. Later that day I left with a 1945 Buick Roadmaster and a brand new Chevrolet Stylemaster. Lewis had met me at the dealership when he finished and drove the Buick home while I continued on my errands. I left the salesperson completely shell-shocked when I paid for everything in cash. The car itself was wonderful to drive, being much smoother than the Jeeps and trucks I drove during the war.  I had a few more days to study and get myself ready for school. I was ready to hit the books but little did I know, something awful was headed my way. Despite all of my training I wouldn't be sure how to deal with it.