Chapter Eleven: "Birthday? Whose birthday?"

After getting into countless verbal altercations with the doctor at the aid station, they finally let me go. After that, I nodded and fixed my hair in the mirror before turning back to him.

"That's fantastic because I outrank you, Sergeant. This aid station is under my command now. Get to work."

Geney watched me saunter off into the aid station to start taking care of soldiers and do my rounds. Shaking his head fondly, he turned back to the Doc who was still staring at her.

"Is she always like that?" asked the Doc.

"Yeah. She's a stubborn as a mule but you won't find a better medic anywhere. Our company calls her Angel."

-----------------

Operation Market Garden was going horribly. It was almost as bad as our fight in Nuenen. For the next couple of weeks, I worked myself down to a frazzle. Geney continuously begged for me to sit down, to rest, to eat something... I obliged only a couple of times but was almost always back on my feet within a few minutes. With each town we liberated, I was met with casualty upon casualty. I was praying to God for a respite, a break, something. I didn't want to send any more soldiers home with amputated arms or legs. I didn't want to watch my family die.

On the evening of the 29th, I found myself with time enough to do the mountain of paperwork I had been assigned. Almost halfway through the stack, I let out a long yawn and sat back in my chair.

"Hey, Geney?" I called out.

"Yes, Meg?" he answered, poking his head into the room I was sat in.

"You mind if I go get something to eat and get some rest?" I asked.

"You're asking me if you can eat and sleep? Meg, just go." He chuckled. "You need it."

I smiled softly at him and grabbed my jacket, the stack of paperwork, and my new helmet before heading into bright sunlight. Once I stepped outside I was blinded for a few seconds but took the time to enjoy the warmth. The aid station always seemed so cold. Maybe it was because there were so many men that were sick and dying. Either way, I let the sunshine on my face for a little while before I was off to where I had been quartered. It had been days since I slept longer than an hour at a time and you could tell. My eyes were bloodshot and the dark circles under my eyes were massive. I slowly made my way up the stairs and opened the door to the office I shared with Winters.

I plopped down at my desk, setting my helmet off to the side and paperwork down in the middle.

"Meg? You look terrible." Said Winters.

"Well hello to you too, Dick." I yawned. "Where's Nix?"

"He was just in here a few seconds ago. He went to get you some food."

"Oh. Nice." I yawned once again before taking up a pencil and going to town on the dwindling stack of paperwork.

Winters and I spent the next few minutes in silence, each working on our paperwork and reports.

"Hey, Dick? You happen to know what day it is?" I asked, scratching the back of my head.

"September 29th." He replied, looking up at me. "Why?"

A smile spread across my face as Nix entered the room, carrying some bread and a full canteen of water.

"It's someone's birthday tomorrow. Isn't that right, Lew?" I chuckled and took the food from him, ripping a piece of bread and popping it into my mouth.

"Birthday? Whose birthday?" He said to me.

"I'm not going to tell anyone, I promise." I winked at him and finished my food before then finishing the paperwork. "Alright, I'm headed to sleep. I'll see you guys later."

I know that I had told Geney that I would be going to sleep when I got back to my room, but I couldn't help but stay awake just a little bit longer. I pulled the pictures I had of us from my pack before pulling out my sketchbook. I spent the next couple hours perfecting the portrait of Lewis I decided to draw. I stowed it away neatly in a small journal I had decided to gift him. The inside cover read:

Presented to Lewis Nixon by Megan Bonti on his birthday. September 30, 1944.

With his birthday present finished and tied up neatly with a pack of fresh pencils, I kicked off my boots and took a quick shower before changing into my PT clothes to sleep. I swear to god I was out the second my head hit the pillow. When I woke up the next morning, my eyes were met with bright sunlight once again. It was nice and warm, despite the chill that came with the early autumn weather. I put on a clean set of BDU's before grabbing Nix's present and heading to my office. I knew he'd be in there with Winters.

I entered the office quietly and approached Nix from behind as he was chatting with Winters.

"Happy Birthday, Nix."

Nix jumped about a mile and fell out of his seat onto the floor. Winters and I looked between each other before we burst out laughing. Lew stood up and grumbled, brushing off his uniform before he faced me. I smiled at him, and his scowl turned into a smile.

"It isn't much, but this is for you."

I handed off the small bundle and he took his seat once more. He opened the cover, read what I had written, and turned the page.

"What's this?" he said, picking up the folded piece of paper and opening it.

"I stayed up a little later to draw it. It's a portrait of you that I drew. Do you like it? And the journal is something else for you as well. You can do what you want with it." I smiled shyly.

"I love it, Meg. Thank you." He set the presents aside and stood up to wrap me in his arms.

I leaned up to kiss his cheek and ruffle his hair. Winters smiled fondly at us as I went back to my desk to start on today's paperwork. Nix stayed by my side and helped me where he could, and when it came time for lunch he ran to get me food like he had done the night before. I love him a whole lot. Man... it feels good for him to finally know. Maybe one day when we get to go home, we can properly spend time together.

Home. That seemed like such a foreign place. It felt as if I hadn't been home in years when in actuality it had only been around one year. This time last year we were still new to Aldbourne. Now, look at us. We jumped into Normandy, took Carentan, I was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant, and we jumped into Holland. Home was far away and so was my family. I missed them dearly but found a home and family in the men that I cared for. Even when the war ended, if the war ever ends, I knew that we'd still write to each other and speak to each other. We were brothers and I was their sister.

But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother