Chapter Thirty-Two: Home Again

After my tear-filled reunion with my younger brothers, I quickly ushered Lew and Winters up the steps. I placed a hand on Lewis' shoulder and introduced them to the Ackermann's. 

"This man here is Lewis." I smiled fondly, holding eye contact with him for a little while. "The Lewis I spoke to you both in letters. This ginger here is Major Winters. Always telling me to call him Richard now." I chuckled. 

"You all are more than welcome to stay with us." smiled Mrs. Ackermann, waving her hand and signaling us to enter the house. 

Both my brothers stuck close to my side, eagerly helping me bring my bags upstairs. Afterward, they ran down the stairs to help Lewis and Dick as well. I smiled fondly at their antics of who was strongest and made my way to the living room where Mrs. Ackermann had set out cups of coffee. After we had all settled we perched ourselves on various chairs around the room. 

"Is this Rabbi Ackermann who sent all those packages?" asked Dick, setting his mug down.

"One and the same." I answered.

"Well, I speak for all of Easy Company and other companies as well, when I express our sincerest thanks. Without all of your help, our boys would have had a much rougher time." said Lewis. 

"You have no need to thank me. I feel that it was my duty to do what I could to help. Besides, it wasn't just me. Everyone in the neighborhood pitched in what they could and then some." he replied.

"Nevertheless, thank you." said Dick, sincerely. 

"You're very welcome. When Megan wrote to me and told me what was needed I didn't hesitate. She has always been well known for helping anyone in our neighborhood at the drop of a hat." he smiled over at me.

"You just described her perfectly." chuckled Lew. "She's notorious for putting everybody else above herself."

We all chatted together as if we had known each other our entire lives. Lewis and Winters fit into the dynamic here like they had been raised in it. I smiled at my brothers who tried imitating a tough soldier. They had taken my garrison cap and took turns putting it on. It sat lopsided on their heads and they threw up a mock salute. I snatched Petr up into my arms and spun him around. When the issue of who was sleeping where came up, Lew and I decided to Bunk together and give Winters the other guest room to himself. 

"It's really no trouble, Mrs. Ackermann." I smiled, giving her a tight hug before retreating to my room. 

When I closed the door, Lewis was already sitting on the edge of the bed and untying his shoes. I slipped off my uniform coat with practiced ease and folded it neatly. Retreating to the bathroom, I undressed and came out in the only thing I had to sleep in; A t-shirt and Army-issued boxers. Lew had the same idea because he was now sitting atop the covers in the same thing. Outside his shirt, his dog tags hung loosely. Alongside both of them sat the medallion I had given him all those months ago. I smiled fondly and sat down next to him, resting my head on his shoulder.

"You kept the medallion?" I said. 

"Well of course I did. I loved you. I love you. Every time I thought about you I always thought that maybe one day I'd tell you how I felt. It only took me two years to even admit it." he chuckled to himself, lacing his fingers with mine.

"You told me you loved me ever since Toccoa." I chuckled, remembering back to the first day I truly noticed him in the mess hall. "I think it was my second day in Toccoa when I noticed you." 

"I noticed you the first day when you sassed that private from D-Company." he barked out a laugh which I hushed. 

We sat together in content silence for a little while before I sniffled.