Chapter Nine: Eindhoven

The past few missions we were supposed to do never happened. I had received so many announcements that we were moving out, to prepare my medics, etc... Whenever I got the order to stand down the upteenth time, I was just about ready to chew out my officers. This jump, however, was just too important to be scrapped. I angrily shoved my things into my satchel and grumbled to myself.

If this gets scrapped at the last minute...

Gene-y came in to brief me as I finished up stocking my satchel and my pack. I had spent most of the day fitting our supplies into the packs of my medics. 

"Well, we're not standing down on this one. We're jumping deep into occupied Holland to liberate Eindhoven and hold the road for tanks to eventually move in. According to Winters the Krauts there are mostly kids and old men. We're under British command this time, though." he rubbed the back of his neck and helped me get my pack on my shoulders. 

"You're shitting me. Are we really?" 

Eugene nodded in confirmation and I swore under my breath. This mission seemed incredibly easy. A get-out-of-jail-free card. The easiest 'Pass Go and Collect $200'.  I have a bad feeling about this. Once arriving back in Upottery, the atmosphere felt incredibly different than when we were here on D-Day. Vets of the invasion were experienced this time and knew to keep what they needed on their body. If not it would be so long leg-bag all over again. The flags we now wore on our arms were incredibly ridiculous. Bright and flashy, it was exactly what they didn't want. I walked through the platoons and eased replacements minds as I went. They were nervous and that was to be expected. Paratrooper training had been drastically shortened and was nothing compared to the intense two years the original Toccoa men went through. I soon found myself standing with Liebgott, Moore, and Malarkey. 

"Angel eyes, stop fussing! I'll be fine." Malarkey slapped my hands away from the pocket his aid kit went in.

"Are you sure your aid kit is stocked? You didn't come to see me at the station before we left." I glared at him. 

"I'm fine, M- Holy shit."

"What?"

They were all staring at something behind me. I turned on my heel and was faced with Popeye Wynn jumping down from the jeep. 

"Popeye!" I smiled. 

"Hey, Angel Eyes." he smiled. 

"It's ma'am, now. Got promoted a few days ago." I said, motioning to the new rank insignia on my collar.

"No shit..." he smiled. 

I looked over his shoulder and when I saw who else was in the Jeep, words were taken right out of my mouth. 

"Goddammit." I swore. Sobel.

My present company still remembered the countless times Sobel had doubted me, belittled me, and the times that he downright insulted me. Upon seeing his face, god only knows how much I wanted to slap him across the face. It took everything in me not to, but I knew that it wasn't smart. 

Look at me now, you assfuck. I thought to myself. 

"What the hell is Sobel doing here?"

"He's the newly appointed regimental S-4."

"Supply officer? Jesus fucking Christ. It's bad enough that I have to deal with the supply sergeants. Now I have to deal with him." 

I went over everything that was in my satchel one more time before I looked up to see Malarkey staring at the motorcycle. I glanced off to the side and kicked his leg when Sobel approached. We all saluted and I stood at ease while Sobel lectured Malarkey.