The Proposal

Once we were appropriately contrite, Jim took over. "Ray and I are starting to plan for the next generation of O&C. We are each lucky to have a child who has embraced the company as we have. Our goal is to have each of you step into our respective roles."

I smiled because it had always been my dream to head up the research and development side. I had ideas my father had been slow to embrace. My mind was running through my mental list.

"However." Jim continued, "You need to learn to get along. If this morning is any indication..."

I listened as I folded the empty sweetener packet into a tiny square. I felt foolish for falling into Daniel's childish exchange.

My father stepped in. "What has made our partnership so successful is we are friends who respect each other. We also know how to resolve our differences."

"Yeah, by fishing," Daniel said under his breath.

I smiled because they had made many decisions based on who caught the biggest fish. That was how they originally moved the business to Maine. They started out in a third floor walkup just outside Boston, in Somerville. When it was time to expand, Jim wanted to go out along Route 128, but my father wanted to come home to Portland. They took a fishing excursion and my dad caught a huge bluefish, so they moved to Maine. Minor decisions were also decided on the golf course, but the big ones were always with fish.

Jim spoke up in his authoritative voice. "We plan to leave you two in charge over the summer. We will keep abreast of things to see how well you work together. If you pass our test, then we will hand you each the reigns. If you fail, then we will have no choice, but to hire our successor."

"Hire!" I repeated in disbelief.

"Test?" asked Daniel, shocked like me.

The impact of Daniel's question registered with me. "What kind of test?"

"You both need to agree to the details and the terms of the test or we'll skip it and contact the recruiter," Jim said quite seriously.

I looked at Daniel and him at me. When was the last time we agreed on anything? I honestly couldn't remember ─ certainly long before our senior year of high school. Just thinking of that year made me shudder.

"Just tell us, so we can do what needs to be done." Daniel sighed.

"We want the two of you to reside under the same roof the entire summer."

"What?" I nearly tipped my mug.

"No way! She hates me!"

"I don't hate you." I lied. He was still a baby. "Where do you propose, we live?"

"That is your first mutual decision."

"Fine, then my condo," I said quickly as if I won.

"Not a chance! How about someplace more neutral like... like here?" Daniel smiled.

I sucked in my breath as my heart started hammering. I was afraid I might start to cry.

Composing myself, I said, "I can't live here."

"Why not? It's the perfect place to spend the summer." Daniel sounded convinced.

"Because..." I decided honesty was best. "Because they're here. They're everywhere," I added as I waved my arm as if to show what everywhere was. Our mothers had loved spending time together in this house.

Daniel looked down. I was certain he couldn't argue with that. Slowly he looked up and his eyes looked sad. When he finally spoke his voice cracked slightly. "We can stay here as a way to honor their memories. They, more than anyone, always wanted us to get along."

Jim cleared his throat. "I heard two options. How do you decide?"

"Rock, paper, scissors," I said.

"Dice... the highest roll."

"No, you've always been lucky." I complained.

"Fine then your way, best of three."

"One, two, three..."