Balls

Hershey padded downstairs to greet me. The house was quiet, although there was a light under Patricia's door. I reluctantly didn't let Hershey in my room, because I didn't want to leave my door open as Daniel had.

I woke in the middle of the night to whining. After letting, the puppy in I reluctantly left my door open a crack, so she was free to leave. My alarm woke me from a sound sleep and I instantly let out a groan because we hadn't settled our bathroom dispute.

I stumbled out of bed to find the bathroom empty. There was condensation on the mirror. I was relieved I missed seeing Daniel after his shower. I would have to thank him, but by the time I reached the kitchen, he had left.

"You cut it close last night," Patricia said, as I poured my coffee. "I would appreciate knowing who I'm cooking for."

"Sorry." I didn't making eye contact. "I have my dance classes tonight. I'll have to grab dinner out."

"I might need some new rules," Patricia said, as I walked out with a travel mug.

At noon, Daniel appeared at my office door. He knocked on the door frame and I couldn't help noticing how nice he looked in his blue shirt with the sleeves casually rolled up past his elbow.

"Thanks for the shower." I attempted to make an effort to get along.

"You were out late, so we couldn't do rock, paper, scissors. I figured I could walk Hershey after my shower as easily as before. You stole her again."

"Stole her! She was whining outside my door."

"She was with you when I woke. She likes you." He smiled at me and I nervously twirled my hair. For a moment, I thought we could be friends. "Don't screw this up for both of us by coming home late."

I was wrong, he was a jerk. I responded as I felt the heat rising, "You could trust me a little!"

"Why? You're a ball buster!" His face paled and his jaw clenched.

"Get over yourself! You made my life hell. It was an accident!"

Why wouldn't he let go of an incident that happened our last year of high school?

"We're supposed to be discussing business matters." He reminded me sharply.

"You're the one who brought up the past! Stick to the present and I'll do my best to get along."

I took a deep breath to calm myself. Our fathers were crazy. We would never be effective partners.

"Alright. There is a personnel issue in accounts payable." He flip a switch to act professional.

I listened to the problem and his recommendation. It annoyed me he was thorough and compassionate. I wanted to find fault with him but couldn't.

In the spirit of cooperation, I updated him on the status of our recent research. Even though his expertise was business, he had a decent understanding of our product line.

I was reminded of my father's words. If Daniel and I had to apply for the CEO position, he would be more qualified than me.

As he stood to leave, I said, "I already told Patricia, I won't be home for dinner."

"Keep Nathan happy and maybe his sales will go up." Daniel strolled out the door. Don't look at the way his pants hug his backside.

A secretary in her fifties watched him walk away. She popped her head in. "Rumor is that the scenery is going to be improving!"

"What?"

"That beautiful man is going to be over to visit more." She practically drooled.

"If meetings are called visits then yes."

I tried to sound professional. I wanted to remind her of the mandatory harassment training all employees take part in but didn't.

When I arrived home after dance, Hershey greeted me. Daniel was on the porch. When I stepped outside I took in the view of the river. It was a mild night. He turned toward me and his eyes glanced over me. I had on short Lycra shorts and a tank top which did little to hide my sports bra underneath. It was my standard dance attire.

I didn't tell him where I'd been. If he wanted to think I dressed like this for Nate, I couldn't care less.

"Beer?" He held up a bottle.

I shook my head no, but walked over to the porch rail and looked out. I felt his eyes on me. It was uncomfortable.

"Take a picture it will last longer!"

He exhaled dramatically. "If you're gonna show it. I'm gonna look. I'm not blind."

My phone chimed to save me from replying.

It was a text from David. "David's coming at the end of July."

"I know. He called and told me. He's looking forward to seeing us trying to get along. Well, I think I'll take her out." He patted his thigh and Hershey ran to him.

I went to get ready for bed and left my door open, so the dog wouldn't wake me. I felt vulnerable, but why would he even care to spy on me sleeping?

At noon sharp, he appeared again. I promised myself not to antagonize him. Something had been nagging at me since our last meeting.

"What did you mean about Nate's sales numbers?"

"I met with Joel Patton."

He was the Director of Sales, who had been with the company for years.

"And..."

Daniel took a deep breath, "Your friend's numbers are low, both sales and calls. His expenses are high and been questioned from time to time. He's not alone. Joel is meeting with everyone to set quotas. Your Nate needs to step up his game."

It surprised me. I never questioned Nate's sales performance when I got involved with him.

Sighing, I said, "Treat him like anyone else."