Playing Nice

When I entered the kitchen, Daniel was leaning against the counter with a mug in his hand. Hershey ran over to greet me, as if she hadn't just spent half the night curled up to me.

I felt Dan's eyes on me as I reached down to rub her belly. I looked up at him. "What?"

"Nothing. I was wondering what you were doing today?"

"I thought the beach, but it looks like summer's been replaced with autumn."

It was overcast and cool, but perhaps it would burn off as the day progressed.

"Forecast is for cool temperatures all day. It would be a perfect day to hike the cliff walk. Are you interested?"

Our mothers used to take us to Prout's Neck to hike the path that ran along the cliffs. They always choose a cooler day, because the walk was strenuous in the heat. I hadn't been to Prout's Neck in years and couldn't see any harm in an outing together.

"Okay. Yeah." I reconfirmed.

"I have to go, but I'll be back before two. I'm guessing I don't need to ask, but if you want to W-A-L-K."

"Of course."

He smiled at me and I wasn't sure if it was an 'I'm glad you like my dog' or an 'I know you're trying to steal my dog' smile.

When he left, I sat with my coffee and talked to Hershey about my plans for the day. Patricia walked in and smiled.

"You talk to that dog more than you do people."

I felt the heat rise into my cheeks and started to deny it.

"I'm kidding. She's good company for me when you're at work. Do you want breakfast?"

"I'll just grab a yogurt. I think I'll use the porch rail to work out."

I kept busy which included taking Hershey on a nice long walk. As two o'clock approached, it was partly sunny, but still cool with a breeze coming in off the water. I had put on sunscreen and dressed in shorts and a t-shirt over a workout bra top. I was waiting in the kitchen when Dan strolled in at two fifteen.

"Sorry. I was caught up with a new adoption. A seven-year-old boy is going to be very happy."

He had an excited expression I had rarely seen. He enjoyed his work at the shelter. His smile was contagious and I found myself smiling back at him.

"I hwve to change and eat something. Give me a few minutes."

"It's fine." I felt optimistic about spending the afternoon together, but I was too stubborn to admit it.

Over the past few weeks, we had worked together on our proposal. Both of us had put our egos aside and we had agreed more than we'd disagreed.

I watched as he threw some cheese between two pieces of bread and took a large bite. He ate a quarter of the sandwich in one bite. I started thinking about his mouth and wondered what it would be like to be kissed by it. Oh no, remember he's trouble. Although he wasn't always, I remembered David said Dan had changed.

He paused when he noticed I was watching him. "What?"

"Is that all you're going to eat? It's a long hike."

"I'll be fine. When did she last go out?" He looked at Hershey who seemed to know he was talking about her.

"A couple of hours ago."

"Maybe."

Patricia interrupted him as if she had been lurking around the corner. "I'm here if she needs to go. You two go and get some fresh air. I'll make a nice dinner. Just have fun!"

She practically pushed us out the door. Daniel had his keys. It was the first time we were going out together in a car. I felt like it was a date, even though it was anything but.

He arranged to park at a private home. The only public parking was at a beach for a fee which lengthened the hike by at least a mile.

Any predictions on how their hike goes?