Netflix and not chill

One other evening, Dan asked if I was planning to watch more of my show and encouraged me to watch in the living room. As soon as I sat on the sofa, Hershey jumped up with me. If she wasn't supposed to be on the furniture, I'd let Dan deal with her. I wouldn't to be the bad guy.

"Hershey get down."

She just looked at him with her cute face. I laughed and Dan sighed. He lifted her off, but she immediately jumped back up and settled on the other end of the sofa and wasn't about to budge. Dan was forced to sit in the middle.

A few weeks ago, I might have left and gone to my room, but I was more comfortable spending time together, even sitting next to him. Truthfully, I forgot he was there as the drama held me captivated. I was so engrossed between episodes, I let the next one automatically start. At one point, I was anxious about what was happening. I unconsciously grabbed Dan's arm and buried my face against him.

Although he didn't stop me, the minute I released my grip, he stood up rather abruptly. He clicked his tongue and walked over to Hershey's leash. That was enough to get her off the sofa.

They left and I was alone feeling abandoned. Did he dislike me? Did my touch sent him running? How were we ever going to get along?

When he returned from his walk, he mumbled, "Goodnight." He went upstairs, but Hershey jumped back up with me.

"You'll keep me company. Won't you, baby?" I whispered to her.

That night I dreamed I was being chased and I ran into Dan. Instead of running I buried my face against him. In my dream, he put his arm around me and I felt safe. Then we were kissing and I felt him pressed into me. When I pulled away, it was Nate's face laughing at me and repeating, "It was just sex."

As if my dream was a premonition, I walked out of a meeting in the business offices and came face to face with Nate.

He acted as surprised to see me, as I was him. He scanned me up and down making me feel uncomfortable.

"Nice tan. You look really good," he said in a low voice. "Do you want to grab some lunch sometime?" It didn't sound like he meant food.

I was just about to answer when I heard, my name. I turned to see Dan. "Let's look at those low sales performers."

Confused, I stepped away from Nate who had his hand on my arm. I followed Dan into his office for the first time. It was surprisingly simple and rather sparse.

"Did we have a meeting? Because I need to get back."

"No, I overheard that creep. You know you can do better than him."

"Not this summer! I can't meet anyone with this stupid arrangement!"

"Come on! It hasn't been that bad. We even watched TV together."

"Yeah, until you decided I had the plague!"

He shook his head. "What are you talking about?"

"The minute I was scared and touched you, you ran away."

"I walked my dog," he said with the emphasis on my. "I sat with you for more than three episodes."

"No, you didn't."

He laughed. "You were so engrossed you didn't notice how many you were watching."

Jeez, how was it he could be right all the time? And why couldn't the infuriating man be ugly? Instead, he was anything, but.