Slugger

When I finished storing my clothes and organizing my things in the bathroom, I needed to rest. I snuggled up with the pup. She was so affectionate and showed me her belly to rub.

From downstairs, Daniel called for her. Her ears perked up, but she didn't leave my bed.

"There you are. Girl, do you want a walk?" Daniel asked in a coaxing voice. He was standing in my doorway looking at us. He looked a moment too long.

Hershey deserted me at the word, walk. I wasn't sure what possessed me, but I asked if I could join them.

He shrugged his shoulders which I took as a yes. At home, I had changed into leggings and a long sleeved tee shirt. I grabbed my flip flops because if I took the time to tie shoes, he'd leave without me.

If I wanted to win his puppy's affection, I'd need to spend time with her. We fell into step together and stopped every few minutes, so she could sniff around the scents of other dogs.

The beach was at the end of River Road. It was a magnificent sight. I liked spending the summer at the beach, just not the company. There were children running on the beach even though it was a cool day. My feet were cold and Daniel still had shorts on.

"Aren't you cold?" I asked, breaking our silence.

"Nah."

Someday maybe I'd own a cottage on The Point. I had two dreams ─ to take over for my father and to have a husband and children. I could have both ─ plenty of women did.

When I was younger, I dreamed of being a ballet dancer. While I was good, I was never that good. I was blessed with long legs and arms, but pointe caused damage to my feet and multiple ankle sprains. My senior year, I was injured more than I wasn't. Luckily, I could dance again for my own enjoyment. I taught on Tuesday evenings and I worked out at the barre regularly. That was one thing that I would miss about my condo, my barre.

We walked in silence, as I tried to think of something to talk about. Finally, I said, "Just so you know, you can count on me to see this game through. I'm not a quitter."

"Neither am I," he replied defensively.

"Did David really tell you I was seeing Nate?"

"We do talk!"

"Why were you talking about me?" I felt the frustration bubbling up.

He shrugged. "David likes to play the big brother. He asked if Landry was good enough for you?"

"What did you tell him?"

"I laughed and said I'd be more worried about his balls."

He had a cocky grin. "You bastard!" I exclaimed as I punched him in the shoulder.

"Take it, easy Slugger! It's day one. Hell, it isn't even July. Let's not call the coroner yet."

I took off walking very fast back to the house. I could tell my face was red. I'm certain he was laughing behind me.

Bastard! That one word kept rolling around in my head.

I stormed upstairs to put on socks to warm my cold feet. I hated cold feet. I hated Daniel Currier! I had no intention on rushing down to be with that jerk, especially after Hershey found me and jumped up on my bed again.

I always loved this room ─ the cottage furniture and seafoam accents were calming. Auntie Deb had a knack for design. My mother counted on Deb to help her anytime she remodeled our house. I had grown up in a big colonial in Falmouth. We lived there because it had the best schools in the state, but also because of the Curriers. They lived a few blocks away. Our families were inseparable. It was to be expected when two college roommates were in business together and married lifelong best friends.

God, I missed my mother. I missed Deb too. How could two lives be snuffed out so easily? I felt the tears fall and kissed Hershey's head. Taking deep cleansing breaths to control my emotions.

I heard Patricia arrive and went down to greet her. As I walked through the living room, they were talking on the kitchen. I stopped to listen. Hershey ran ahead and I hoped she wouldn't give me away.

"Who is this?" Patricia asked.

"This is my girl, Hershey. I hope you don't mind."

"Heavens, no. She's so friendly."

I imagined the puppy was at Patricia's feet and felt a stab of jealousy.

"So were you surprised to hear your assignment as referee?"

"I was thrilled. I get to spend the summer with my two favorite people."

Daniel laughed. "If we don't kill each other first."

"You won't. I know neither of you will back down from a challenge and besides you both have good hearts."

"I'm not so sure. For the record, I'm going to tell David, he's not your favorite." Daniel teased.

"I'll deny it." Patricia's laughter filled the room and I used it as my cue to enter.

Patricia jumped up the minute she saw me. "My darling! I never see you enough."

True, I've been avoiding the house I grew up in since my mother died. Seeing my father at work every day was enough.

"Looks like you'll be seeing me every day for a while." I managed a weak smile, but my mood had been affected by memories of my mother.

Daniel looked at me and frowned. I really didn't need his criticism. Feeling cornered, I retreated. "I'm going out. Don't worry. I'll be back before midnight."

"Okay, Cinderella." I heard him call to my back.