Just Sex

The week progressed and we fell into a routine. Twice I returned home first and took Hershey for a walk. If it bothered Daniel, he hid it well. That bothered me.

On Friday afternoon, before I left the office, Nate appeared again.

I smiled. "I told you not to."

"I've come to say there are too many rules. I'm not interested in being a part of your game. We need to stop whatever it was we were doing."

"You're breaking up with me!"

"Breaking up? We're not kids. We were just having sex. It was fun enough, but not worth it with this stupid game you're playing. Good luck. I'll see you around."

He strolled out of my office and I felt angry and humiliated. I thought it was more than just sex.

When I walked in, Daniel and Patricia were laughing in the kitchen. He turned to me. "No hot date tonight?"

"Screw you!" I turned on my heels and went up to my room.

Later, there was a knock on my door. When I didn't answer, Patricia came in.

"Dinner is ready."

"Do I have to?" I sounded like a child.

"Yes. What has you upset?"

"The guy I was seeing dumped me. He said the rules weren't worth it."

"Well, he doesn't deserve you, because you're worth more than a few rules."

I smiled, but it felt bittersweet. Her support reminded me of my mother. "Will I ever stop missing her?"

"No, none of us will. Now put on a happy face and play nice with Dan, the way your mother would have wanted you to."

She left me alone and I resigned myself to sitting across from him at dinner. As I moved approached the kitchen, I heard them talking and stopped out of sight.

"Be nice apparently that guy didn't appreciate her enough."

"He's a fool. Besides Patty, I'm always nice." The latter was in a playful voice.

I had forgotten he always called her Patty. Of course, I used to call him Danny but stopped long ago.

"I can remember a time when you were downright mean to her. If you weren't a good half foot taller than me, I would have taken you over my knee."

"I was just a kid." He sounded defensive. "Besides, it was a year at most. She's had nothing, but venom towards me for over ten years now."

"Seems to me, you've both done your share of hurting the other. What she needs is a friend. She's still mourning."

"I hear you." I almost couldn't hear it. "Where is she? I'm hungry."

I counted to ten and entered the kitchen. "What's for dinner?" I asked in as upbeat a voice I can muster.

"My special grilled chicken. Come sit."

"Do you want a beer?" Daniel asked.

Every other time I had turned him down. "Sure."

"Patty?"

"No, thanks."

"Do you like him calling you that?"

She winked at him. "Only Danny. Truthfully most everyone I know calls me Pat."

"I don't have a nickname." Paige was hard to shorten.

Daniel said, "I do and someone used to use it, but hasn't for over ten years."

I felt the heat rise up my neck into my cheeks. "Fine. If you're nice to me, I'll call you Dan."

"Why does everyone say I'm not nice?" He couldn't really be hurt.

I ignored him. "This is delicious Pat."

She smiled. "Thank you, love. There's a nickname for you."

Again, I felt myself blush as I busied myself cutting my grilled asparagus. Dan looked at me and I felt the urge to run. When I glanced at him, his eyes twinkled to match the smile on his face.

Why does he like my embarrassment?

Daniel smiled. "How about Slugger?"

I shot out of my seat, but Patricia grabbed my arm. She scolded him. "I said you should be nice."

He just smirked. Why was he enjoying this?

As soon as I finished eating, I stood up. "I'm going for a walk."

Hershey heard the magic word and ran over to me. "Do you want to come, sweetie?"

"Actually, I would" Dan stood with a laugh.

I didn't even bother to comment. I hoped my eye roll was sufficient, but he wasn't joking and followed me out the door.

We started in silence as I contemplated what Nate had said. I wondered if he even liked me or if it was only about sex. It was good, but not spectacular. Truthfully, I wasn't sure spectacular existed.

He broke the silence. "I'm sorry for my nickname comment. I heard you really did hit it out of the park, so slugger fits."

I ignored him hoping he'd stay quiet.

"What are you sighing about?" He almost sounded concerned.

I hadn't realized that I sighed. I couldn't tell him that I was thinking about my sex life.

"The fact that I have to put up with you."

"I'm not that bad. Let's walk on the beach."

It was a mild evening and low tide, so I took off my flip-flops. He slipped out of his Dockers and we walked side by side. Hershey liked to run in the sand.

Walking on the beach was therapeutic and I felt better when we reached the house.

"Another beer?"

"Nah, I have some shows to catch up on."

I felt his eyes follow me up the stairs. He kept me off balance and I didn't like it.