•7•

Chapter 4
Little things

"You're being a little quiet today," Sanya said, digging her stick into the sand.

I looked back at her, surprised. "I've been talking nonstop from the morning bell. I'm being courteous and letting you talk now."

"I meant, relatively," She smirked.

"Ya, relatively. Thanks."

"Then, did you like the first part of Dead Pirates?" She asked me with so much eagerness that you'd think that she penned it herself.

"Don't you talk about that stupid book in front of me!" I snapped and then laughed at her ashen expression.

"Seriously, what captured your attention in that book?"

"They're doing stuff that I can never do.Of course It'll give me a sense of satisfaction!"

"Your secret fantasy is to go on a killing rampage? I should be careful with you."

My murmur was lost in the boisterous din of our classmates' voices. 

I leaned towards Sanya once again, "So when is our revision exams?"

"You didn't go through the notice board yesterday?"

"Uh,no."

"How typical of you Shyla."

"Why, thank you very much," I replied with a heavy British accent, causing Sanya to nearly grin.

"15th, not far off from now."

 "I can't write these revision tests yaar," I cribbed,"Let's bunk maths and rent some CDs to watch, what say?"

"Dude, we'll be  dead, I'm not sure about this."

"I've done it before. Some trust dude!"

She pulled her duffel bag into her arms, amused."I haven't, right? Okay, we'll see, we'll see."

We faced the ground once more where the inter-school match was happening.

Sanya retrieved a tiffin box from her bag."Ahem."

"Oh, chocolate digestives.Thanks." I grabbed two biscuits.

I chewed silently watching the now sweaty boys getting into a skirmish.

"That was Vijay's point! That was a ruse!" Mrunal hissed loudly and I exchanged looks with Sanya.

Vijay was somewhat of the Junior High jock and the queen bee was rumoured to be dating him.

"Mrunal foregoes all these matches. Today's the first day she's sitting here." I whispered while chewing,"Does she even know this is Basketball?"

"Love, Shyla, Pyaar. You won't understand these pure feelings."

I stifled my laugh.

It was very convenient that the match extended for the last maths hour because I don't do my homework and Smriti ma'am never left us until the last bell. I slung my bag over my shoulder after seeing the glimpse of my van and hoisted myself up before he could get a chance to stop the vehicle.

The driver got a minor heart attack when I stumbled in like a tornado, and then narrowed his gaze.

"I was going to stop only no, ma? Why this hurry?"

"Sorry uncle," I replied sweetly, not feeling sorry at all.

Students began piling in but I already won my seat near the window. I shuffled into my seat and adjusted my bag for other students to accommodate themselves.