•9•

Chapter 5
Semi-Dates

Geometry somehow managed to attract me because of its slightly artsy nature. But the problem was that I didn't really care about measuring and drawing it to the satisfaction of mathematical logic.

But it was probably the only saving grace of my exams. I gripped the compass and dragged the pencil down on the paper.

"I think that's wrong," Kabir said, peering over at my note.

My sister had my maths guide because I was apparently writing a test for her so I couldn't even sneak a look.

"It comes from the opposite side."

I observed the diagram critically. "Actually you're right. I had a bad feeling about this curve."
I plucked an eraser from my pencil pouch and erased it before fixing it and joining the lines.

"This?"

Kabir grabbed my compass. "Yeah, but just ...."

I see.

I was paying full attention. Interesting fingers he had. Long and slim...

I imitated what he taught me and admired my diagram at arm's length like I was Picasso himself.

"I'm done. I'm done with my test then," I declared proudly.

My sister was talking on her phone in the balcony with a friend. With my book in her hand.
So I sagged back in my cushion and began scribbling at the back of the note.

At the same time, Siya emerged from the balcony and glared at me sitting like I was enjoying a campfire. Kabir looked down into his chemistry textbook with excessive interest.

"What? I finished the work you gave me!" I protested and then a book hit my shoulder.

She lowered her phone from her ear to command, "Exercise nine point three.Now."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes ma'am," I flipped through the pages lazily.

I started doing a problem and was stranded in between so I distracted the study partner next to me who successfully read an answer and started a conversation from nowhere.

My sister emerged from the shadows, obviously done with the phone call and I stopped mid-sentence and continued my problem.

Siya's feet stopped right before my book.

"Um, I have a doubt," I said.

She scoffed, "Don't bullshit me, as if you were actually studying."

She flipped through my notebook. "He helped you, didn't he?"

"Uhm..."

"I know it's a bad idea to tutor you both together but our parents don't know so." She sighed dramatically and looked between us."Guys, your exams are hardly a month away. Be done with this and you can talk as much as you want."

We slaved with three hours of trigonometry and Carboxylic acid and she still wanted us to learn something still?

My sister gestured her hand between us, "Now scoot away kids. One arm distance."

"It's nine," I said quietly as she plopped in between us.

"So?" She challenged.

"I usually eat at eight."

"Good for you."

I gave Kabir a meaningful look over her ponytail.

"Yeah, we'll finish this tomorrow for sure. Let me make you lovely girls some dinner."