Phase 18

(Y/n)'s Point Of View

I sat in my usual seat in my french class seconds before the school bell rang. 

Our teacher was nowhere to be found. 

A minute went by.

Then two.

Then five.

Then ten.

"You know if a teacher doesn't show up after 15 minutes, we're legally allowed to leave," A boy on the other side of the room yelled out. 

"I was beginning to wonder if we had forgotten the obligatory mention of the 15 minute rule," Abby muttered as she rolled her eyes.

Soon after a man in a grey sweater vest strolled in. 

"Sorry I'm late guys. Mrs. Dandan fell sick and I only found out about it a few minutes ago. I'll be your substitute for the day. My name is Mr. Fernin," The man said.

He looked around the classroom. Some were happy their normal teacher wasn't here because now they can goof off. Some were annoyed about having a substitute. Half the girls and two boys were staring at the sub and his perfect appearance.

"Your teacher wants one student to lead the class in a discussion about about the differences between French culture and American culture. Who wants to lead?" Mr. Fernin said.

The whole class was silent. He sighed. 

"Do I need to call on someone?" He asked, "You, pick a number between 1 and 30." He pointed at Abby.

"11" She said. 

"Alright..." Mr. Fernin grabbed the clipboard with everyone in the class's name on it.

He scanned down the list and called out, "Jassy Remferd. You're leading the discussion." 

A girl with frizzy black hair two tables over groaned.

"Fine." She stood up and walked to the front of the classroom. 

"Let's start with French culture," Jassy said.

"I think your teacher wants this to be in French." 

Jassy rolled her eyes. "Parlons de la culture Française."

The conversation went on for a bit. I didn't care about it so I was barely listening.

I felt a tap on my right shoulder. I looked over and saw a note Louis had passed me. 

What are you doing tomorrow afterschool? It read.

Where am I? I guess not in French class because Louis is speaking English. I wrote back.

Haha very funny. So what are you doing tomorrow?

Nothing that I know of. Why? 

My parents are out of town. Wanna come over to my place and have a movie date?

That's a scenario I'm not ready for. I passed the paper back to Louis.

He read the message and looked at me with a very confused expression. Then his eyes went wide and he scribbled words down.

NO NO NO NO THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT. I'M SO SORRY.

I read the note and stifled laughter. 

I know, I'm just giving you a hard time. I'd love to. 

Great! I'll take you to my place right after school. Then I'll take you back to your place around 9 or 10? 

Sounds good. I'll supply the movies if you supply the snacks.

The bell rang and students shuffled out into the hallway.

"I'll see you later," Louis said before he kissed my cheek.

"Bye,"I replied. I walked to my next class and sat next to Peter.

"Hey (Y/n)," Peter said, "RumpleSnakeSkin doesn't look too good. Do you think he needs more water?"

I noticed our plant on the table in front of us. It was a little brown and a little wilted. How odd. 

"Yeah, maybe," I said. Peter walked away to get water for our plant.

I made a mental note to come in and use my powers when no one else was nearby.

"Class," our teacher said, "December 19 is the last day of our plant competition. It is also our last class before the winter break. That's two weeks from tomorrow."

A few kids in the class cheered at the nearness of the holidays.

"I've noticed at all of your plants are slowly dying. You might want to get with your partners and figure out what you need to do. I hope we aren't slacking on our responsibilities," He said.

"Now that our announcements are out of the way, it's time for our quiz." He smiled.

I could hardly concentrate on my quiz. I was busy thinking about the Avenger meeting on Thursday and my date tomorrow. 

I still hadn't decided if I was going to go to the meeting. By the time I turned in my quiz, I had decided I would go.