| prologue |

Kenzie's dead grandmother had always mentioned that her family is cursed.

She never once believed the women with the sleek fire red bob and crystal blue eyes for a second. Not when her grandparents on her mother's side drowned in a fatal boating accident when she was just five. Or when her parents divorced the following month.

She didn't believe in the curse when her fit grandfather stepped on a crack, breaking his back, only to never walk a day in his life again. He passed away from a stroke the month after the incident. Kenzie was only six.

The day of her grandfather's funeral, Kenzie's grandmother announced that she had be the next one to be cursed by the infamous Collins curse, and would be gone in the next year. Kenzie still didn't believe her grandmother. Not even when she was hospitalized for flu turned into pneumonia she poised in the middle of summer.

Being the seven years old she was. Kenzie could only ask one question to play along with her grandmother's belief of the curse.

"Grammy, how can you break the curse?"

And like any old curse mentioned in fairy tales and folktales, there was only one answer.

"Kiss your one true love and marry them, Kenzie." Her grandmother whispered as she closed her eyes to never see the sun again. Passing thirteen months after her husband's death. Kenzie still didn't believe in the curse that possessed her family.

It wasn't until Kenzie was eight. She was sent straight to the hospital halfway through her very first day of third grade at her new prep school that her grandmother's words of the curse starting to play inside her head, only for her heart to grasp a piece of it.

The unfortunate happened. Her mother was in a coma after being hit by a car when walking across the busy streets of Manhattan. Her beautiful, posh mother, elegant in every way looked so disheveled lying in the middle of the hospital bed with tubes going in every direction imaginable.

Like the thought of any eight years old, Kenzie was ought to find her mother's one true love to awaken her from the curse she was suffering from. She called her father believing he was her mother's one true love since they had been married first only to be disappointed when she heard the answering machine at the end of the call. She called the next day only to be furious when her demand to speak to her father was denied by his secretary. They say third times the charm but that wasn't in her case and it left eight-year-old Kenzie more frustrated than ever.

Soon the cool September breeze turned into the agonizing December blizzard. During the months that passed, Kenzie noticed how affectionate the doctor caring for her mother was. Before the clock struck twelve and the New Year came in she dragged her mother's doctor into her mother's room and demanded that he kiss her at midnight. The doctor did as he was told and gave Kenzie's mother a little peck on the cheek because after all, they had been childhood lovers. Only for her mother to wake up with no trace of memory from the past leaving Kenzie and her two older siblings shattered.

Six months later and the doctor as her new beau; Kenzie's mother was happier than ever, but all good things had to come to an end, and Kenzie's mother passed away in a peaceful slumber. Forcing Kenzie and her older sister Lainey to leave the city richer than ever. Moving in with their estranged father but to be reunited with their older brother. 213 miles away from their current home, Kenzie was only nine and the curse was starting to become believable.

Their dad and his side witch welcomed them home with a note handed by the butler that walked away without a second glance. Saying they were free to use the credit cards whenever they pleased and the driver, cook, and housekeeper were at their service whenever they liked because they wouldn't be home for the next six months. Probably one of the warmest welcomes they had ever received from the non-existent man.

Their loving brother soon entered the house carrying two big suitcases turning the sisters frowns into smiles as he hugged them. A hug filled with so much warmth that radiated throughout the stone cold castle they were soon to call 'home'.

The first year in her new 'home' and there was not a single trace of the curse that lingered within them. Kenzie thought they had just gotten lucky.

The second year in her new 'home', and there was still no sign of the curse.

By the third year in her new 'home', Kenzie felt like a fool for believing in her grandmother's tall tales.

And during the fourth year in her new 'home', Kenzie had forgotten about the curse.

On the evening of Fourth of July that year, a security guard found Kenzie's father dead on the floor of his office next to his weeping mistress. The call they received left the three siblings, the richest in the state. It wasn't the curses fault for her father's death. No, it was bad karma that had finally caught up to him, thought Kenzie. At thirteen and a half, Kenzie stopped believing in the curse and blamed every bad thing to have ever happen in her life as an unfortunate circumstance.

Though she stopped believing. She couldn't help wonder why her grandmother with the fire red bob and crystal blue eyes saw it as a curse and believed in it so faithfully. It wasn't until she was hit by the curse herself that she finally understood. Because all things good or bad tend to come when they are least expected, and in the Collins family the unexpected was always bad.

Kenzie was fifteen when she was cursed.

Sixteen, when she started to believe in the Collins' curse as faithfully as her grandmother.

Seventeen, when she realized the curse couldn't be saved by her one true love's kiss.

And eighteen, when she knew the curse would be the death of her.

So here's the prologue! I'm REALLY curious to know what y'all thought about it

So here's the prologue! I'm REALLY curious to know what y'all thought about it. Please let me know anything you have in mind. I had really appreciate it!

Also, it would be nice if you vote, comment, and share this story with your friends.

Thank you! <3

P.S. I also wanted to say that unlike this chapter the next chapter will have more dialogues and have bits and pieces of narration in the third person. I'm not exactly sure when I'm going to upload chapter one, but know for a fact that as soon as it's uploaded the future chapters will be scheduled (hopefully one a week.)