05 | "reubena?"

|| Kenzie || || Miles ||

It had been two days since she last spoke to Miles.

Miles. She said the name loud enough for only her ears to hear and the trees to keep her secret.

Was it bad that she liked the way his name sounded when it rolled off her tongue because even if it wasn't she couldn't help the guilt from gnawing her bones.

They had spoken every day for the past week since their game of twenty questions, and just in the week, he managed to do something even Kenzie's own siblings couldn't do in the past three years.

Miles was starting to tear done the walls that surrounded her heart. Though there were still plenty more to go, Kenzie could feel her frozen heart starting to thaw from the infectious aura that positively radiated from the boy on the other end.

But, she couldn't let him break down the walls that took Kenzie three years to desperately build up, and she couldn't let her frozen heart melt only to feel the happy ending she would never get.

Because anybody born with the family name Collins.

Or, damned to end up with one.

Are to be cursed with the infamous Collins curse.

And she couldn't let Miles suffer through the wrath of her family's curse.

Not even if he was her one true love.

Because no true love's kiss would be able to break the power of the curse that she had possessed.

Kenzie sighed in sadness at the thoughts rummaging through her head. She promised herself that the next time he called she wouldn't pick up because she simply couldn't.

But, as the sun dipped behind the hills and the moon made its way up, the phone sitting next to her began to ring.

Though her brain yelled no and her heart screamed yes, her fingers did the familiar and before she could stop them, she heard the very one voice that did something to her heart.

"Hey, there friend!"

Kenzie gulped at his greeting. In just under ten calls Miles had managed to call her his friend, and that ignited a flame inside of her. She couldn't be his friend and let him suffer just like she was, and even though she had the option to hang up she couldn't find her self to. Instead, she started an argument she just couldn't win.

"When did we become friends?"

"I think we established that the last time we spoke....bestie."

"I don't remember agreeing to become your friend let alone your bestie."

"UGHHHHHH!!! YOU FAT DOG!!! LET ME EAT IN PEACE!!!"

"FAT DOG?! You can't go around calling me names just because I don't want to be your friend!"

"OH SHIT! Sorry, Kenzie that wasn't for you! Reubena stole my sandwich."

"Reubena?"

"My golden."

Miles has a dog. The flame of anger Kenzie had felt only seconds ago was blown away by the smile that started to creep up.

Kenzie always had a soft spot for dogs.

She always had a soft spot for guys with dogs.

"You have a dog?" Kenzie couldn't help but ask with the excitement inevitable in her voice.