08 | "there's an old lady mean-mugging me"

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." - Julius Rosenwald

|| Kenzie ||     || Miles ||

Though Miles had made up his mind on which one to get, he couldn't stop his hand from moving to his back pocket and pulling out a familiar device, nor could he stop his fingers from scrolling through his contacts to pick the one name that instantly brought a smile to his face.

Kenzie. He tested out the name more times than he had like to admit, but he loved the way her name felt rolling off his tongue.

Miles sighed in happiness as he realized how much had changed since the day he accidentally called her, and for whatever unknown reason that compelled him to call her again, he was glad he did.

The beeping on the other end stopped and he was blown away with a soft melodic hello that made his stomach flutter and his heart beat a little faster. When he heard Kenzie say her second hello it was when he realized he was lost again in her delicate voice that made a shiver run down his spine.

Kenzie had the ability to that. To make the otherwise quick to respond boy at loss for words, and before she could hang up Miles's ability to speak faltered and he said three words that made him palm his face so hard, people looked in his direction.

"Lemons or limes?"

"What?"

"Lemons or limes?" Why he asked again, Miles wasn't sure but he was definitely going to make the most of the so far disastrous call.

"I'm not sure what you're asking..."

"Isn't it obvious? I'm asking for your preference."

"Uhh...okay...but, why?"

"Because I don't know which one to get " Little did Kenzie know that he already had made up his mind.

"And you think asking me would make a difference?"

"Yes I know it will."

"..."

Miles was silently waiting to hear her angelic voice again as he stood in front of the two similar citruses. People were staring to stare at him probably wondering why he was taking his sweet time to pick something that didn't need much debate.

"..."

"You know I can't just stand here all day, people are starting to stare at me."

"And whose fault is that?"

"Yours. Definitely yours."

"Uhh--What! How's this my fault?! You're the one who can't make up the decision!"

Miles couldn't help but smile hearing that way the softness in her voice picked up when she was annoyed.

She sounded adorable.

"Exactly why I called you to help me make this life-altering decision."

"Yes. Because doing something as sinful as picking limes over lemons could change your future."

"You never know, what if I end up in the hospital because I picked one over the other and ended up dying because of my lousy decision-making skills." He said and could have sworn he heard a gulp on the other end, but he dismissive the thought.

"..."

"Can you please hurry, there's an old lady with a walker mean-mugging me, and it's freaking me out." And if Kenzie though Miles was lying, he wasn't because there was, in fact, a grumpy old lady giving him the death glare.