20 | "im meeting someone"

"What's got you all smiley today?"

Kenzie had been staring out the window of Dolce Delicacies, admiring the tiny specks of snowflakes that lightly dusted over the pale winter grass. Her mind painting tempting images of snow angels, snowball fights, and snowmans including a portrait of a special someone.

"Kenzie?"

The sweet images in Kenzie's head smeared upon hearing the familiar voice bringing her back to the reality of her life and the anxiety that had been unknown seconds ago disrupted her peace, overpowering the excitement she had felt before. Kenzie felt like she was suffocating as the curse lingering around her mocked her stupidity for believing that Miles would actually show up today. It was horrid how her curse seemed to control her mind and every aspect of her life, but Kenzie had to remind herself that she was far stronger than the curse and couldn't, no wouldn't let the curse destroy her happiness anymore. She had, had more than enough of it, and with that last thought, Kenzie swallowed the agonizing lump in her throat pushing down her fears and letting her excitement take over displaying the emotion with a wide smile that revealed her perfectly aligned pearly whites.

"Yes"

"What's with you today? That smile keeps getting bigger and bigger." Papa Leo sat down, placing a cup of hot cocoa in front of Kenzie.

"I'm meeting someone."

"This someone must be very special to have you smiling like that."

"He is."

"He?"

"Yes Papa Leo, he." Kenzie playfully rolled her eyes. "We've been talking on the phone for a while now."

"On the phone?" Papa Leo's eyebrows furrowed. "You sure he's a good guy?" He concluded with the worry evident on his face.

"The best." Kenzie smiled knowingly taking a small sip of her hot cocoa.

"Okay...I trust your judgment." Papa Leo finished off just as the bell into the bakery rang letting Kenzie know that it was finally time to meet the boy who did things to her heart only he could do.

Miles was nervous as he pushed the door of Dolce Delicacies inhaling the bittersweet smell of coffee that would normally calm his nerves. The door closed behind him as he stepped in and his eyes automatically surveyed the empty bakery looking for the girl he was about to meet for the very first time, but instead he was confronted by his Nonno's loud voice.

"Emilio!"

"Ciao Nonno, how are you?" Miles asked when he made his way to his now standing grandfather giving him a welcoming hug.

"What are you doing here, Emilio? You're not supposed to be working until tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I'm actually here to meet someone." Miles simply replied as he looked over the empty bakery one more time wondering if he had somehow missed her.

"To meet someone?" His grandfather said noticing how the words became a whisper as he absorbed what Miles had just told him.

"Yes." Miles furrowed his eyebrows confused. "I'm supposed to meet her at around four." Miles completed looking down at his watch to make sure he had gotten the time right while his Nonno stared back at him.

"Her?" His grandfather asked as if he was trying to piece together a simple puzzle, and Miles was starting to get annoyed.

"Yeeees her." Miles narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "She's a girl I've been talking to quite a while on the phone."