19 | "texting you is werid"

Kenzie had probably been staring at her phone for the last thirty minutes, her thumb nervously floating over the call, message, and the home button. It was a never-ending cycle and she didn't understand why it was taking her so long. This was Miles for god's sake. But, why was she so nervous to talk to him?

"You've been staring at your phone for quite some time, is everything okay?"

Kenzie gasped. Her phone falling out of her hand and into her lap as she put both of hands on her erratically beating heart, trying to calm it down.

"GOD! Wes! You scared me!" Kenzie turned around facing the culprit who had almost given her a heart attack. Wesley rolled his eyes as he jumped over the sofa, getting comfortable in the spot right next to her.

"So what's going on? You were on that phone for a while staring at Miles' contact number."

"I wasn't staring." Kenzie shook her head while her cheeks turned red.

"If you weren't staring, then you were definitely ogling his number. If that's what you're doing to just his number, you're going to end up eye-raping him when you meet him in person, Kin. "

"WESLEY!!" Kenzie shrieked turning a bright shade of red, slapping his chest hard. Wesley's laughter grew echoing throughout the living room, stirring a very sleepy Lainey, who was sprawled on the love seat across from them.

"Are you done!?" Kenzie whisper-shouted, glaring at her older brother watching him slowly come back to his senses.

"Sooo... what's going on?" Wesley wiggled his eyebrows.

"GOSH WES! You're such a child!"

"Haha! Okay... jokes aside Kenzie. What's really going on?"

"I'm nervous Wes." Kenzie said lowly looking down at her palms, hoping the rough lines within them could give her an answer as to why she was so nervous.

"Why are you nervous?"

"I don't know Wes, we haven't talked in almost a month and what if...what if he doesn't want to talk to me anymore?" Kenzie looked about at her brother a little teary eyed.

"Kenzie." Wesley squeezed her shoulder trying his best to comfort her. "I don't think Miles is like that and I'm pretty sure he would be over the moon is you decided to call him."

"But, what...what would we talk about, what if it gets awkward?"

"When have you ever had to think hard about what you would talk about, Kenzie?"

"Never."

"Besides Kenzie, you will never know what happens if you decide not to talk to him, and if you're so worried about it being awkward then text him. That will always get the conversation flowing, but don't rely on it."

"You're right Wes."

"When am I ever wrong Kin." Wesley winked, only for Kenzie to playfully roll her eyes at him.

Wesley was right, she had never had to think too much about the conversations she's had with Miles in the past, and what made this conversation any different? It didn't. Kenzie made up her mind and knew exactly what she had to do, not before she confessed something first.

"Hey, Wesley?"

"Yes."

"I know I don't say this often...well at all actually, and it's probably because we didn't have the best examples growing up... but that shouldn't be an excuse and... umm...well stop me from saying what I have to say to you...you and Lainey both, but I...I just wanted to say that I'm...umm..."