18 | Chapter eighteen

Chapter 18 | I miss you, mom

" And then she knew,
that you could become homesick for people too. "

L U X U R Y

Today was Christmas Eve.

And I could wish nothing more than my parents to be here with me.

Two days ago, when Damian finally answered my call and I told him I liked him, he laughed. For minutes. He said he should've bet that I liked him.

But me being me, thought it was obvious that I was head over heels over him only. After I ended the call, with my cheeks redder than usual, I went to bed. The next morning I woke feeling weird.

I guess I was just really hoping mom and dad would've arrived in the morning, so we could celebrate Christmas Eve together.

I did absolutely nothing today. I thought about calling Damian, but I was sure he was having fun with his family. I didn't want to be a bother,

I was told by Eleanor dinner was ready. Before I walked to the dining room, I made sure to slip on black socks since the cold wooden floor would freeze my feet in a matter of minutes. The house was silent, like always. I could hear the faint sound of a vacuum cleaner somewhere, but that was it.

It felt sad. Almost lonely. I had lots of people in my house, yet... I was so alone.

I finally sat down to eat my dinner that consisted of a grilled salmon with salad and risotto. I grabbed the silver fork, puncturing the tomato. I licked my lips, my eyebrows frowning a little bit. I brought the tomato to my sight, examining it. I tilted my head as I kept staring at it.

"Is there something wrong, Quinn?" A maid called Jennifer asked as I turned to around to see her. There was another maid next to her, and Eleanor next to her. I hated the fact they had to watch me eat, but my dad insisted they did in case I ever needed something.

"Everything is fine." I told them, wanting my lips to twitch into a smile but I couldn't bring myself to.

I placed the fork down before pushing the plate a few inches away from me. I was never hungry in the first place. I rested both of my elbows on the glass table as I stared at the plain beige wall far away from me, on the other side of the long table. I put both of my hands on my forehead, this time looking down.

I closed my eyes for a brief second, wondering why mom and dad weren't here yet. Tomorrow was Christmas. Why were they not here?

I swallowed hard, looking back at the beige wall. Maybe they forgot. Maybe they forgot about me. I shake my head. "No..." I mutter to myself, shaking my head even more.

"Pardon us?" I heard a low voice behind me.

My head kept shaking in disbelief. "Don't worry, I'm just talking to myself." Again, I wanted to let out a small laugh, just so I wouldn't sound rude or disrespectful but nothing came out.

I licked my dry lips for a second time, looking at the glass full of water, right next to the glass of mango juice. I loved mango juice but I couldn't bear the thought to put it in my mouth today.

Why were my parents not here? I felt the back of my throat ache and burn as I held back my crying just at the thought of them forgetting about me. And before I could stop myself, I had already shifted myself on my seat. "Do you have any news on my parents?" I try to sound blunt but my voice comes out cracked and insecure. I avoid the maids stare.