2-7

"Yi Feng, report."

"The mission was a success. I've become indebted to the Jiao princess."

"Excellent news! Seems Yao Shan won't be able to get his way this time."

"Is there a need for all this? We could just as easily kill him and pin it on a corrupt official."

"True, that would certainly be more efficient."

"..."

"But where's the fun in that?"

"...you're going to get killed for that attitude some day."

"Not as long as you're alive."

"...I'm gonna go get another mask."

And so, he seemingly disappeared into nothing. Just as he left, there was a knock at the door.

"Enter."

"Prince Yao Shan has arrived."

Though it was difficult to notice, Li Qiang's smile suddenly looked a little more forced.

"Escort him to the pavilion."

"Understood, Lord."

The servant bowed and left. As soon as he was gone, Li Qiang held his head in his hands.

"Damn Yi Feng, running away and making me deal with him alone."

With all his energy, he managed to pull himself up and drag himself to greet the guest. He quickly covered up his listless expression with a polite smile and left for the garden. Unbeknownst to Li Qiang, Yi Feng, who had already put on his signature golden mask, silently tailed him out. It was far too risky to leave the two alone.

"Prince Yao Shan, congratulations on your recent engagement!"

"There's no need to be so stiff Li Qiang, we've known each other for so long."

"It's only right to respect formalities, Your Highness."

"Same as ever, huh? It'd be nice if you could get more comfortable around me. You'll scare away all the girls if you're so serious all the time, though I suppose you're handsome enough to get away with it."

Yao Shan did not try to hide his intentions as he leered at Li Qiang.

"...thank you for your advice."

Li Qiang felt disgusted. Anything that came out of this man's mouth just felt slimy and disingenuous, even if it was just a simple compliment. Perhaps it was because he knew of his true nature that he felt this way, but he honestly couldn't understand how this man had managed to charm the Emperor and the Imperial Court enough to become the Crown Prince. But, disgust wasn't enough to break his act.

"Anyway, I am truly fortunate to have been betrothed to such a beautiful girl. Of all the people I've ever met, she must be the loveliest of them all. No matter the situation she has this charm about her that, I personally believe, is absolutely enchanting."

"I had no idea that the two of you had spent so much time together already."

"Of course, it's the duty of royalty to get to know their subjects, especially nobles such as the Jiao family..."

The conversation continued as the minutes painfully ticked by. Yi Feng hid in the shadows and counted the seconds that passed in an attempt to cure his impatience. Seeing that nothing else was happening, Q decided that now was the time to bring up his doubts.

"May I ask a question?"

Shoot

"Why would I do that?"