2-11

"The preparations are complete."

"Excellent work. You're as efficient as always."

"Of course."

"I'll be leaving tomorrow at sunrise, so how about a quick spar before then?"

"Alright, I suppose it has been a while since the last one."

The two chatted while walking away. The nearby soldiers heard the news and quickly spread the story between each other before drawing lots to decide who would have to miss out on the event to guard the premises. A certain guard snuck away from the lively soldiers and stealthily walked towards the main building. Avoiding the patrols as he walked, he soon arrived at a rather secluded area. Though the scenery was just as beautiful as its surroundings, there was a definite gloominess that lingered in this particular area. The fact that the servants avoided this place only made it seem lonelier. Without any respect for the occupant of the room, the man rudely opened the door and entered with not so much as a greeting.

Yaya was startled by the sudden entry but settled down after recognising the intruder. She spat out her words with a tone full of resentment.

"What do you want?"

The man similarly scowled at her, a subtle trace of annoyance was buried in his expression.

"I've found another opportunity for you. Li Qiang and Yi Feng are going to the training field to spar, take this and serve them some drinks, I don't think I need to tell you what to do from there."

Yaya merely scoffed at his words. She snatched the bag out of his hands.

"I won't tolerate any more failures."

Just looking at this woman put him in a bad mood so he said his piece and left. Yaya glared at his retreating back while holding herself. She knew it was too late to turn back, but she had a few regrets. If it wasn't for them, she would never have chosen to do this, but for the sake of the future, she resolved herself to finish what she started.

*****************************************************************

The sky outside had darkened rapidly, the early nights signified the oncoming winter.

The room was silent. The door was carefully slid open. Pale light streamed in, casting eerie shadows yet failing to adequately illuminate the dark room. Mindful of her surroundings, Yaya quickly shut the door behind her as quietly as she could. She paused for a moment while waiting for her eyes to adjust to the darkness, but even then she could only make out vague silhouettes. She slowly crept toward the bed.

One step at a time, she cautiously approached the breathing (?) lump.

A slight metallic scent wafted toward her from the direction of the bed. Why?

She was too nervous to even notice such a weak scent.

Her outstretched hand reached out to pull off the silk covers, she gulped, this was it.

Her heart raced, muscles tensed.

Her palms felt sweaty, she gripped the dagger tighter.

Just as she was about to tear away the covers, a hand suddenly appeared and grabbed her wrist.

"-!"

Another hand clamped her mouth shut before she could make a sound.

She wanted to resist but was, instead, dragged away from her target and into the room next door. For what reason, she wasn't sure yet. The men disappeared after they restrained her. Almost immediately after they left, another man entered.