Chapter 6: Marry Me?

"Well", Phil began, "I can tell you that I didn't go to the cinema with Louise or PJ", he admitted. Dan nodding his head listening to Phil's words.
"But I have been with them every day that I haven't been here and I have been going to lunch with them", Phil told truthfully.
"And why didn't you just tell me?", Dan said softly, "I don't like you keeping secrets from me like that", he admitted. "Well I couldn't tell you for a reason Dan, but you'll find out soon enough", Phil smiled, leaving Dan confused.
"And you promise you're not cheating on me with Harry Styles or something", Dan laughed. Phil giggled, "No you spork", he said playfully.
Phil moved his hand to his back pocket where he felt the small velvet box. "Actually...", Phil said sitting up tall and looking at Dan. "I have a small question to ask you", he started. His heart racing.
*Ding-Dong*
It was the pizza.
"You should probably get that", Phil suggested looking at Dan. "Okay sure, I'll be back in a second", Dan said whole getting up off the sofa and racing down the stairs to collect their dinner.
Phil sat back on the sofa and sighed heavily. 'Stupid pizza', he thought to himself. He was about to propose to Dan and the doorbell just had to ring at that moment.
Dan made his was back up the stairs with 2 pizza boxes and a bottle of Diet Coke. "Help me", he cried, struggling with the weight of everything in his arms. Phil laughed but got up to help Dan. He took the boxes and put them on the table while Dan went into the kitchen to get some napkins and two glasses.
Phil turned on netflix and chose the latest episode of American Horror Story for him and Dan to watch.
Dan walked back into the living room and sat beside Phil on the sofa.
They had both started on a pepperoni pizza when Dan broke the comfortable silence between them.
"What were you about to ask me before the bell rang?", He asked Phil. Phil's heart slipped a beat. He couldn't propose now. The moment was ruined, he couldn't propose while eating pizza.
"Oh um, it doesn't matter", Phil lied. "Alright then", Dan replied, shaking it off as nothing.
Phil wasn't really paying attention to Dan or the TV for the rest of their meal. He was too deep in thought thinking about how to propose to Dan. He had to do it today, it was their anniversary. Not just their anniversary their 10 year anniversary.
"Phil?", Dan half shouted, startling Phil. "Oh, uh, yeah?", Phil replied, still dazed from being so deep in thought. "Are you alright?", Dan asked him, putting a hand to Phil's forehead where his stitches were. "Yeah, I'm find, just lost in thought", Phil replied, softly laughing.
Dan pulled his hand away, relieved that Phil was ok. Even though the doctors said he'd been fine in a few weeks Dan still worried. "What were you thinking about?", Dan asked him.
Phil's mind raced, he could tell a simple lie. He could tell the truth. "You", Phil said smiling at Dan, who smiled back. I mean, technically Phil hadn't lied, he was thinking about proposing to Dan, and proposing to Dan meant Dan played an important role in it.
"Well, if you excuse me I'm going to browse the internet in our room", Dan said, standing up and stretching. "It's my turn to tidy up anyway", Phil smiled watching Dan leave their living room.
It didn't take long for Phil to wash up, it was just 2 glasses. He threw away the pizza boxes and wiped down the table. Phil sat on the sofa and decided to browse through the TV channels.
He stumbled across the music channel when something clicked in his head. Phil rummaged through the kitchen cupboards for any candles he could find. He placed them all around the living room and lit them carefully. He got out his laptop and typed "I won't give up - Jason Mraz" into the search bar and connected it to the TV.
He took a deep breath as he took the velvet box out of his pocket. 'This is it', he thought to himself while checking the ring one last time.
Dan was in his and Phil's room when he heard noise coming from their living room. Dan listened closely. It wasn't noise it was a song.
Dan got off his bed and made his way to the living room where the music was coming from. The door was closed. 'What the hell is this', he thought to himself.
He opened the door to see the room dimly lit with candles scattered everywhere. "I won't give up" was playing on the TV, in the centre of the room he saw Phil. The candles giving him a soft glow.
He was down on one knee. Dan stood in the doorway in shock not knowing what to say or do.
"Dan", Phil started, "we've been together for 10 years, we've had ups and downs along the way but we stayed together through it all", he said, a tear rolling down his cheek as Dan slowly walked closer.
"You're my best friend, and it would be an honour if you'd spend the rest of your life with me", Phil stuttered, pulling the small velvet box out of his pocket and opening it up.
"Daniel Howell, will you marry me?".
Dan stood in front of Phil, tears streaming down his face as he quickly nodded. "Of course I will you dingbat", he laughed through his tears as Phil slipped the ring onto onto his finger. Dan admired the gold band on his finger as he pulled Phil up for a kiss.
He pulled Phil into a tight hug and they swayed to the music in the background.
"I love you", Phil whispered into Dan's ear. "I love you too", Dan replied.

*Authors Note*
Awww that almost made me cry writing it, sorry this chapter took so long it was hard to get it write
- Lauren