Chapter 5

Keith woke up on a concrete floor. It was cold. He looked around, noticing the metal bars. He was in a cell. Looking down, he realized he was wearing a blue shirt that was slightly torn at the bottom and a pair of long black trousers, barefooted. He stood up, trying to look through the bars to figure out where he was. He heard footsteps and moved away from the bars and sat with his back to them. The footsteps stopped just outside his cell.

"Hey, Keith?" A small voice whispered he turned around to see Lance. "Are you feeling alright?" He asked with care.

"Go away, I don't want to speak with a murderer." Keith spat viciously. He heard the soft clatter of a plate against the floor.

"Please eat" Lance pleaded, before walking away. As soon as Lance left, Keith took the plate and the food that was offered to him. He put the plate towards the back of his cell to use as a weapon in case of emergency.

He heard a second set of footsteps- a lot heavier than the previous ones and shuffled to the back of the cell, leaning against the wall.

"I've come down for a little chat, you up for it young man?" The man spoke in a kind voice. Keith ignored him. He only glanced up to see who was there before realizing that it was the blue paladin. He turned away slightly. "You need to cooperate here. Come on, Keith is it? That's what the young prince called you." The blue paladin sighed. "I'm sorry about your little brother. I just need help understanding what went on." Keith started to shake, his emotions bubbling up. He was about to jump up and scream something until he realized the paladin was starting to leave. "Well if you're not going to talk, I guess I should just leave. Bye kiddo." The blue paladin left silently.

After a while, he was started to get tired- no one else had come in since the blue paladin. He crawled to the bed in the corner and lay down. It was just a thin mattress on the floor but it was better than nothing. He curled up and started quietly crying to himself. Lance sat on the stairs, hidden. He sat there silently listening to Keith cry as a single tear ran down his cheeks.

As soon as Keith stopped crying, Lance wondered back upstairs and into his room. He sat on his bed, sinking into the soft mattress realizing how lucky he was. He pulled the blanket over him tried to sleep.

He lay in his bed for about an hour, before getting up and grabbing his flashlight. He walked out of his room and wandered to the hanger where the blue lion was kept. As he walked in, Blue let her barrier down.

"Hey Blue, how's it going?" He sighed, walking towards her. She let out a low purr in response and lay down. Lance sat in the space between her leg and head. "I couldn't sleep so I came to sit with you to give you some company." He yawned and stretched, leaning against the lion. Blue raised her barrier and let out a quiet purr as Lance fell asleep.

Lance woke to noise and panic.

"where's the blue paladin?"

"Jesus Christ Lance not again."

"Go and wake him."

"Get the Blue paladin now!"

He rubbed his eyes groggily, sitting up with a yawn. He scanned the room before geting up with a sigh. Coran, Alfor, and a soldier were stood outside the barrier, looking cross and serious. Allura stood to the side smirking and shaking her head at him. Lance patted Blue, walking towards the edge of the barrier.

"All you have to do is knock." He said jokingly and knocked on the barrier as Blue let it down.

"We were looking everywhere for you. You can't keep doing this, we're in the middle of a war. We thought something bad happened." Alfor shouted. Lance rolled his eyes.

"A stupid war. I don't see the point in fighting with close friends." Lance retorted.

"They are now our enemy and you know why," Alfor warned.

"Well it's not their fault, maybe you should be looking for the person who attacked me instead of fighting with your friend," Lance shouted and Alfor stood back in shock before getting angry.

"Get to your room and don't come out until I get you. You are no longer allowed to leave your room unsupervised." Alfor said quietly, nodding to Coran.

"Come on young prince." Coran sighed, Lance screamed annoyed before following Coran. They walked towards his room almost silently. Once they got there, Coran quickly ushered Lance inside. "I'll be back in a tick, just wait here and please don't leave." Coran pleaded before leaving. Lance put on a black cloak and walked down to the cells.

"Hey, I haven't got long. Are you alright?" Lance asked as he approached Keith's cell. "Do you want anything? Here I brought more bread." Keith ignored him. Sighing, he left the silk wrapped bread outside of the cell, knowing Keith would take it when he left. "I heard you crying last night. I'm sorry I didn't mean to stalk you or anything," Keith shot up, glaring at Lance with his ears pinned back.

"Just leave me alone. I hate you." Keith spat as Lance walked away.

"Bye then" Lance whispered, he sat on the steps until he heard Keith take the bread. Then continued to climb up the stairs, he snuck back into his room and hid the cloak under his bed. He sat down and pulled out a book, just that moment Coran walked in.

"Good you're still here, well er, I'll be around. The guards are now outside your door so erm, don't try to sneak out." Coran shuffled from foot to foot awkwardly before placing a plate of food down and leaving.

Lance put the book down and decided to sleep after eating his food. He woke up the next morning and found Allura curled up with him.

"Hey there Lance." She whispered. Lance became confused.

"Why are you here?" He asked sitting up.

"Well, the guards came and got me, because you were screaming. It was probably just a night terror, when I came in you were shaking and trying to hit one of the guards. I calmed you down." Allura smiled, Lance smiled back slightly scared. "I went through the same thing when I was about your age, it might be an awakening of Altean magic. I've told the guards it was nothing and I would sort it out." She winked and Lance laughed slightly.

"That's pretty cool I guess." Lance smiled, standing up. Allura got up and left as Lance started to find some clothes. He got dressed then sat on the edge of his bed, waiting for King Alfor. He had breakfast then went back to his room and did some basic math and history with his private teacher. When she left he went down to see Keith again.

It was like this for about a week. He'd do his daily duties, go see Keith, give him bread, get ignored and go back to his room.

Lance walked down to the cells like any other day and Keith was at the other side of the cell as usual. He placed the bread down and went to leave.

"Wait..." A voice rung out as Lance stopped. He sat with his back against the cell. "Please just sit with me for a while?" Keith asked, his voice squeaked slightly. Lance smiled gently.

"Sure." He replied and they sat in silence for almost ten minutes before Keith spoke.

"Why do you keep coming down and feeding me? Why do care so much?" Keith asked. He was also sat with his back against the cell bars, slightly to the side of Lance.

"Well, I think the whole war is silly and that we could've been friends under any other circumstance. Also, I don't really want you to go hungry." Lance spoke softly. Silence.

"You didn't kill my brother did you?" Keith said cautiously with regret.

"No. I'm not a killer. If the King focused on finding the person that attacked me and worked with the Galra instead of fighting them, then someone can be put to justice." He spoke, his voice seemed full of anger as he clenched his fist, his fingernails, digging crescent shapes into his palms. Keith sighed.

"I'm so sorry. I was just upset and misread what had happened," Keith rambled. "It was just that you were holding a knife and he was dead and..." Lance turned and hugged him from behind through the bars.

"It's okay, you're forgiven," Lance whispered and Keith held his arm. They sat like that until they heard footsteps. "I'll be back." He walked quietly to an empty cell and hid as the man approached Keith's cell.