Chapter 12

Lance woke slightly, relaxing into the soft mattress beneath him. He sighed as he relaxed.

"Good, you've awoken" a voice spoke gently.

He jumped before wincing and holding his side, coughing.

"It's alright, drink this. It should help"

A women sat next to him, holding a small cup. He hesitantly took it, sipping it slightly.

"Who-" he rapsed

"Dont try to speak, you'll make it worse. My name's Krolia, I couldn't just leave you in this pained state child" she said softly. "Now rest, those injuries are quite severe"

Lance tried to sit up before falling back to sleep. Krolia moved to her desk, keeping an eye on the boy.

Altea
Keith woke up alone, scanning the room quickly. He sighed, lying back down. He noticed the galra teddy on the floor. He picked it up, looking at it before hugging it and crying softly.

His mind raced as he looked at the teddy. His mom. Lance. His little brother... More tears ran down his face. It was too much, he just wanted to be home with his mom and his brother. He wanted to see Lance.

~~~~~

"Zarkon. Where is my son?" Alfor snarled at the man on the screen.

"He's here. I can't promise his safety though" he smirked with a cruel chuckle.

"Return my son to me, or suffer the consequences!" His eyes flashed with rage. Coran stood by, watching in concern.

"No." He went to walk away before stopping. "Give me control over your empire and alliances...maybe then the boy will stand a chance at survival" he closed communications and walked out.

Alfor went pale, shaking as he lost his balance. Coran caught him slightly, supporting him.

"Sire...we'll get him back" Coran whispered with a sigh, fighting back tears. "We can't let Zarkon win, we'll find a wa-"

"Stop..." he stood up fully, sighing shakily. "We have no other choice. If Zarkon gains control of the universe, no one will escape his wrath" he walked out, leaving Coran alone and stunned.

Coran broke into silent sobs. He couldn't bare the thought of leaving Lance, he was like a son to him. It hurt. A lot. He took a deep breath to compose himself and walked out as he tried to control his tears.

~~~~~~

Lance shot up, coughing. He groaned as he rubbed his face and looked around. He was back in the cell. Upon noticing the cuffs around his wrists, he started to pull at them to try and remove them. He gave up after a while, curling into himself as he leaned against the back wall.

Zarkon walked in, followed by Lotor who smirked, a malicious glint in his eye.

"Well, boy..." Zarkon started with a low chuckle, "it seems that Alfor is met with a tough decision. You. Or the empire...but I doubt he'd let his empire fall so it seems you're out of luck."

"And when that happens, I'll take your dear sister as my bride" Lotor stated.

Lance just buried his face into his knees, trying to ignore them. It didn't work. Zarkon marched up to him and grabbed his face, lifting him into the air.

"You insolent child. You should look at people when they speak to you." He snarled, dropping him. "...You don't look too good...it'd be a shame if we lost our bargaining chip." He started to walk away. "It's not like we promised you alive anyway"

They both left, laughing to themselves. Lance was left in complete silence. All he could hear was himself wheezing as he took a breath, sitting up in hopes it'd help.

"Hey...how are you feeling?" Krolia asked as she slipped into the cell. "Drink this"

She handed him a small cup, helping him sip from it. He sighed, burying his face again as he tried to stay awake. Krolia stood and picked him up.

"Come on, this is no place for a child to be spending the night." She whispered, carrying him back to her room.

"Thanks" he mumbled with a slight wheeze as he lay his head against her chest, starting to lose consciousness. 

Krolia placed the boy into her bed and moved to her desk to look through plans and enemy information. She sighed, keeping an eye on the boy. Lance mumbled in his sleep with a frown as he shifted.

"Hmmm- N-no" he shifted, his breathing becoming shallow "K-ke...You can't"

Krolia moved to sit next to him, gently lifting his head into her lap, stroking his hair camingly. Lance settled slightly, curling into himself.

"K-keith...ple-ase" he mumbled, shaking slightly.

Krolia froze, looking down at him as tears filled her eyes. She continued to comfort him, humming a soft tune. The one she used to sing to Keith and Kaiden. Small tears fell down her face.

~~~~~

Allura walked into Lance's room and placed a tray of food on the bedside table for Keith.

"Here, Keith. You have to eat..." She sighed softly with a gentle smile. No response. She sat on the edge of the bed, placing a hand on his shoulder "I know you're worried, but if you want to help Lance, you've first got to help yourself"

Keith sat up, leaning back against the headboard. He stayed silent and kept his head down to avoid eye contact with Allura. She placed the tray on his lap as he began to eat slowly.

"I'm scared..." He eventually admitted. "What if something bad has happened? I just want to know he's okay..."

"It'll be alright, Keith. Lance is strong and he knows how to take care of himself. He'll survive" Allura reassured. Keith shook his head, pushing the tray aside.

"No. He's reckless, he doesn't know his limits...what if he burns himself out? He's all alone! No one to stop him-" Keith hugged his knees into his chest, looking up at Allura. Tears had settled in his eyes and had started to spill across his cheeks.

Allura sighed and put an arm around him, wiping his tears away with a small cloth. Keith rested his head against Allura's side. She smiled softly.

"I have faith in Lance, he's smart. We'll get him back so try not to worry too much" she hummed.

~~~~~

Coran knocked on Alfor's door before walking in. Alfor was leaning on his desk, looking rather pale.

"Sire...You need to rest. You're no help to anyone like this" Coran sighed, hesitantly placing a hand on his shoulder. Alfor moved to sit on his bed.

"I can't do this Coran. I can't lose my only son but Zarkon is dangerous" he sighed, rubbing his face.

Coran sat next to him, keeping his gaze down. He placed a hand on Alfor's shoulder who pulled him into a hug. Coran hugged back with a soft smile.

"Don't worry too much...I'll do everything in my power to get him back. Please try to rest..." Coran sighed

"Okay..."