10. Policy Revision

Author's Note: 

Song For This Chapter: Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes

https://open.spotify.com/track/3QGsuHI8jO1Rx4JWLUh9jd?si=9RAe94DwSAmit5sgKGarzQ

"What is that about?" Lana whispered as they entered the coffee shop and immediately saw Hearne and Sean bowed up at one another.

Dru stood frozen to the spot, but Lana stomped toward the pair with determination. After a few moment's hesitation, Dru tried to follow, but a large group of student's got up from several tables to leave for class and she got caught in their press toward the door. By the time she made it around them, Sean and Lana were already headed her way, in a heated whispered discussion.

It stopped the moment she moved forward to them. "What's going on?" Dru asked. A part of her was actually relieved that something had taken precedence over the text.

"Nothing," Sean said tersely.

"Sean," Lana objected.

"Leave it, Alanna!" he said forcefully, and they glared at each other. "It was nothing. He was warning me about the thing with Finn, that's all."

"Oh, right. Well, anybody can tell him Finn's the asshole of Sabit, not you," Dru said lightly. She reached for a coffee. "Thanks for getting these."

Sean swooped it from her hand, and tossed all three in the trash. "Actually, they are shit. I dunno, I think they burned the beans. Let me get you another."

"OH! Uhh," Dru looked at the line at the counter. "I don't think we have time before class."

Sean cursed under his breath and ran a hand through his hair. He looked agitated, almost as agitated as when he'd flipped out on the overlook. She looked towards Hearne, who was all smiles now, joking around with some students as he made his to the door. Was Sean's agitation to do with Hearne, or was it about the text?

Lana grabbed the scone Sean always got for her on Fridays. She shoved half into her mouth. Normally, she would give Sean half of her scone, and Dru would give him half of her muffin. But today, she grinned and kept hold of her entire scone.

"What? I'm hungry?" Lana mumbled through her mouthful. She pushed Sean's shoulder with two fingers. "You'll just have to survive on Dru's muffin."

She winked. Sean looked away. Then she pivoted on her toes and danced away to the door, tossing them a wicked backward glance. "See y'all later. Have fun in Sociology."

Dru picked up her muffin. She pressed her lips together, trying not to smile. She and Sean made eye contact, and then she blushed again.

"Thanks," she said, dividing it, and offering him his standard half. She never finished it, he always ate part. He took it without comment. "What do I owe you?" she asked.

Sean sighed. "I'm the one that owes you...an apology." Another one. "I have no excuse for that text.I can't even begin to explain what I was thinking when I sent it. I guess I just got a little crazy, thinking about you constantly and not acting on it."

"You've been thinking about me?"

"For days." Really it has been longer than that. Since the first time I walked into Lana's room and met you. "But that's no excuse to act like a..." horny douche, "like Finn. I'm sorry."

Dru shook her head quickly. "You are nothing like Finn, Sean. And the text was..." Heart-racing. Gut-twisting. "No big deal. It's not the first time I've gotten a pick-up text." It's the first time from a guy like you. "Although, it was more inventive than most. A for effort." She laughed quietly and snuck a side glance at him.