46. Power of the Pantheon

Author's Note: Time for the Girl's to have their say!

Song for this Chapter: The Times They Are A Changin'....Bob Dylan of course...This song is for Carrie...she's really seeing things differently in this chapter...starting to see Cernunnos' new vision.

Dru stood by the fireplace, twisting her ring nervously, as Tandie eyed it thoughtfully. It was Reese, however, that commented.

"That's an unusual ring."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Where'd you get it?" Susan asked in a sing-song knowing, tone.

Before Dru could answer, Carrie stalked over, her perfectly white-soled Converse squeaking slightly on the polished wood floors. She held out her hand and gestured imperiously. Dru put her hand in Carrie's obediently and let her inspect the ring.

"Pretty," she said neutrally. Then she turned to the other girls. "Can I borrow Dru for a minute?" Before waiting for an answer, she drug Dru by the hand back toward the kitchen, where Lana was pouring three glasses of wine.

Carrie offered Dru one, and took a long swallow from her own. "Look, I just want you to know, Hearne told me about your covenant, and I'm cool."

Dru took a long swallow. "He told me about your house. I'm cool, too."

"Really?" Carrie seemed surprised. "What exactly did he tell you? I mean, I'm just curious. If the shoe were on the other foot, I'm not sure I would be so cool."

Dru shrugged. "He said he built a you small cottage, on the other side of the lake, so you were within his domain, under his protection."

Carrie looked around the lodge with an odd expression. "Yes, a small place. Nothing like you have here, Dru." She took a heavy swallow. "So...looks like everybody is coming out a winner, yes?" She held out her glass to Dru in invitation. "You are happy with Cernunnos, right? You want to make him happy?"

"Of course, he's the Lord Cernunnos. It's my honor," she said formally.

Cerridwen looked thoughtful. "I'm actually glad, Dru, about your whole past life thing. I don't have to remind you that this modern man he's aspecting, is only part of the god he truly is."

"Yes, I know." Dru traced the rim of her glass. "He went hunting for two days without a word. Then he did it again, barely two later. Although he did remember to text me, the second time...halfway through his trip."

Carrie laughed. "Yes, that sounds more like Cernunnos than Hearne. I'm glad you know what you are getting into."

"What about Sean?" Dru asked, her eyes suddenly meeting Carrie's. "Does he know what he's getting into?"

"If you are truly committed to Cernunnos, then Sean's future is within his control. I will not compel him to any act of self-preservation, unless you make me."

"Then we are good," Dru said.

"Welcome to the Pantheon," Carrie said dryly, clinking her glass to Dru's.

"Holy fucking hallelujah," Lana exhaled and drained her full glass.

When Carrie looked at her in disapproval, Lana said, "What? Y'all tear my nerves up."

Carrie swiped the glass Lana was pouring. "Party for them," she gestured to the class and the Mystic Mountain men. "Work night for you."

"What?" Lana asked blankly.

Carrie turned Lana around, and nudged Dru's attention to the back deck. "That right there, is a strategy session. Those are the men of our Pantheon, planning."