14. The Crazy Kind

Author's Note:  

Song for this Chapter: Him & I  by G-Eazy, Halsey

Sean thought seeing red was just an expression, but his vision was so clouded with rage he could barely see to drive. Dru's headlights were shitty, the night was pitch black, and the windy mountain road was narrow.

But the situation was urgent. He knew Lana was at Finn's, although he couldn't explain to Dru how. And they were definitely too angry and probably too drunk to make being alone like that anything but a terrible idea. He pushed the accelerator to the floor, but it didn't relieve his anxiety. If that piece of shit hurt her...

"Sean, slow down, please!" Dru's voice shook, not with fear, but with the vibration of the car. Sean looked down at the speedometer. 115 mph.

He cursed and slowed to ninety. From the corner of his eye, he saw Dru had a tight hold on the grab handle above her head. He cursed again, but he kept his foot steady on the accelerator and his eyes focused on the road, as he leaned expertly into the turns. He knew this road like the back of his hand, he'd driven it hundreds of time, but Dru didn't know that. He didn't like scaring her, but he had to get to Lana, now.

Finn, like a few other well-off students, had his own place off campus. There were a number of unusual buildings in the outskirts of Weirville that had been converted into student dwellings. Finn's was an old gas station that was about halfway between Weirville and Mystic Mountain. One of those distinctive buildings constructed in the sixties. Hexagonal in shape, the front three panels wall to wall glass. The entire living area and kitchen were lit and on display as Sean and Dru rolled up.

Yeah, Lana was there all right.

Lana looked wild, her black hair a tangled mess, her eyeliner streaking down her face. She was wearing a pair of boxers—obviously Finn's— and a black bra, and nothing else. She was in the process of throwing things at Finn, who was catching them, tossing them down, and pulling the pillows from the couch, returning fire. It would have been a comical scene, except for the angry faces and screeching.

"What the hell?" Sean murmured in exasperation, as he threw Dru's car in park abruptly and hopped out, pushing through the glass door. Dru followed quickly.

Finn and Lana were so enraged at each other that they didn't even bother to halt their tossing of objects and angry words as Sean barreled between them.

"What the hell is going on here?" Sean demanded, ducking a remote that Lana threw at Finn.

They both ignored him.

"You're a maniac, Finn!" Lana screamed, "Screw you!"

"You are going to listen to me now, you crazy-ass hillbilly hellcat!" Finn hissed at her.

That was all it took—one hillbilly slur— and Sean launched himself at Finn, forcing him all the way through the open kitchen and slamming him into the kitchen wall. Dishes lining the shelves crashed to the floor.

"Don't you ever fucking speak to her like that again!" Sean yelled in Finn's face.

Finn muscled back, shirking Sean's grip, knocking Sean into the refrigerator.

"Fuck you, Faraday! I'm done with your goddamn obsession with Lana. She's mine, not yours!"

Dru was so floored by Finn's reaction that she stood stunned as the two thrashed around the kitchen. Finn punched Sean hard in the gut, but Sean didn't even seem stunned as he shoved him against the wall again, this time slamming his head. Finn grappled for a pan on the counter, and took a swing at Sean, who blocked it, and knocked it away. Sean, heedless of his injury, punched Finn hard with his broken hand, and Dru gasped as she saw Finn's neck snap right, and his eyes lose focus.