Faces From The Past Part 2-Stuart Twombly

Stuart's POV

I've been going working towards trying to get an internship at Google all summer and it's been weird. Not the experience itself, but the fact that I seem to run into Y/N literally everywhere I go.

After my first week, Y/N and I went to dinner. The longer I sat across from her, the more I remembered how much I was in love with her.

~•~

"I still can't believe I'm sitting across from Stuie," she laughed softly as she shook her head.

I playfully groaned at her childish nickname for me even though my cheeks were burning. I always hated it when people called me that, but it never bothered me when she said it.

Probably because I was stupidly head-over-heels in love with her. She could call me "asshole" and it would make me smile.

How cliché was my life? I fall in love with my best friend, we go our separate ways and I don't see her for over five years, just to finally be reunited at my internship where she already has a full-time job. I then spend less than an hour in the same room as her and instantly realize I'm still in love with her.

"And I can't believe, after all these years, I'm sitting across from Y/N/N." I smiled when her eyes widened.

"Oh geez." My heart jumped when I heard her laugh. "It has been so long since you've called me that. Five, six years?"

"Yeah," I said, my heart dropping at the memory. "I think the last time I called you that was right before you left for college."

I looked down, unable to look at my old best friend, the love of my life, anymore.

"Stuart?" Y/N's voice came out soft. "Are you alright?"

I took a deep breath, hesitating to look up. When I finally did, my breath got caught in my throat. The way she was looking at me, her eyes soft and filled with worry, made my heart swell.

I groaned internally when I realized how much I sounded like a love-sick teenager.

"Yeah," I stuttered. "Sorry. . . I just. . . I feel like we're back in high school. Sitting in the diner after school, chugging milkshakes instead of doing our homework. I've. . . I've missed you, Y/N."

She reached across the table, grabbed my hands, and intertwined our fingers. "I've missed you too, Stuart." She smiled, making my heart beat against my chest.

~•~

Whenever I see her in the office, my heartbeat speeds up, my hands get clammy, and I completely forget what I'm doing. I've lost count of how many times I've frozen in the hallway after seeing Y/N a few feet from me.

After I had been standing for some time, only staring at her, someone from my internship group would walk by and hit my head, trying to get my attention. That would always lead them to try to convince me to man up and tell her how I feel.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it. What would it be like to tell Y/N how much I loved her? What would it feel like to hold her as more than a friend, spoil her, kiss her, love her? What would it feel like to finally call her mine?

But what would happen if she didn't feel the same? The awkwardness, the heartbreak, the newfound tension, the history that would be destroyed. I would lose her. And that was something I had to avoid doing at all costs.

I was working on a project but stopped when I noticed everyone staring at me, sending me weird looks.

"What?" I asked, trying not to get annoyed. They sent me smirks as they tried to hold back laughs. "What the hell is wrong with you guys?"