Part of the Narrative

Artwork from churchofelizahamilton on Tumblr

After I told Hamilton that I was from the United States of America, he'd shaken his head before murmured something about needing some space before promptly walking away. Now, I watch his receding figure until he disappears into the mass of tents. I can't help but wonder if I've made a mistake.

Whatever happened to not telling anybody about the future? I silently scold myself for my stupidity.

A thought suddenly occurs to me, sending me into a panic. What if Hamilton tells someone that we win the war? I quickly calm myself down as I think it through. If he did such a thing, they would laugh it off as something he believes will happen. They won't think he's telling them the actual truth. 

"Eliza?" I hear a voice say from behind me, and I turn to see Laurens marching towards me, a peeved look on his face. I shrink back a little as he stops right before me and spits, "I heard that Hamilton led a force to steal British supplies, and I know that you heard it, too." 

I cringe a little as I reply, "Hamilton told me not to tell you."

His face reddens a little at this. "So, you're telling me that you not only saw Hamilton before he left, but you had the time to talk with him, and yet you still didn't tell me his plans?" 

"I'm sorry," I say sincerely, my brow furrowing in distress. 

Laurens simply shakes his head, and take a deep breath before asking a little calmer, "Where is he now?"

I jerk my head towards the mass of tents. "He went back into the camp. I'll lead you there," I quickly offer, wanting to get back into his good graces. Laurens studies me for a moment before he dips his head once.

"Lead the way, Eliza."

I smile gratefully before leading him to where Hamilton disappeared off to. If I had to guess, he went to his own housing, so I start leading us there. "So, I'm assuming by the fact that you know where he is and you talked to him earlier that you two made up?" Laurens questions from beside me as he casts a quizzical look my way. 

I purse my lips and roughly shove my hair over my shoulder (evidence of my anxiety) as I answer, "I'm not so sure anymore. I made up with him mostly, but he seems a little-" I trail off, letting my words hang in the air. I'll let Laurens decipher the meaning. 

Laurens let out a little hum in acknowledgment to my words but remains silent as we scoot out of the way of soldiers and cooking fires along the camp walkway. I finally reach Hamilton's tent, telling by the American flag flying above it that it is an aide-de-camp's tent. 

Before I move the flap aside for Laurens, he grabs ahold of my arm, stopping me short. "Don't be worried over Hamilton. He'll come around soon. He just doesn't like it when he finds something he doesn't immediately understand," he tells me quietly. 

I nod silently before indicating for Laurens to go in ahead of me. He brushes past me and enters with a loud, "Alexander, I swear if you go into battle without telling me again-"

I enter to find Hamilton looking back at Laurens with a grin. He doesn't notice me as I enter. He huffs a laugh as he replies, "I hope running dispatches wasn't too boring without me."

His eyes suddenly slide over Laurens's shoulder, and he spots me standing there. Our eyes meet.

I stare back unflinchingly as surprise flickers in his eyes. "Eliza," he greets shakily. 

I smile back nervously. "Laurens was looking for you-" I start to explain before trailing off, the words dying on my lips as I notice two additional items sitting on Hamilton's desk, out of place amongst the piles of papers and ink wells.